Through Highs & lows: chapter 43

"Then why are you mad? Is it seriously because of earlier?" He asks. "No. Well kind of. I just... I never had to deal with you like this?" I say. "Like what?" He asks. "I never had to care so much. I did, but it wasn't like this. If you we're upset over something it was no big deal. I knew It'd go away. I felt bad, even if it wasn't my fault, but now I feel instant guilt. I never had to worry about you lying or texting another girl. Sure it used to hurt, but it didn't matter, because we weren't dating." I try to explain. "I thought you trusted me. Your seriously upset about that?" He asks, sounding upset. "No Colby. That's not what I meant." I say. "Then what did you mean, because that's what I heard." He says. "I mean. I never had to think twice about anything. We never really even argued. I don't even know why we're arguing. What changed?" I say. "Nothing. You just got mad for no reason." He says. "Your not listening to me. I'm not mad, just confused." I say, trying not to cry. "Really because you sound like both and it's irritating me." He says. "Fine Colby. You know what. Take my car home or to the store, or wherever you want. Even to Ariana's house. Call kat or don't. I don't really care. I'll just take an Uber home." I say. I know I shouldn't have brought Ariana up. I honestly really did trust him. I'm just upset and sad. It just came out and it's too late to take back. "What?" Colby asks. "Here." I say taking out my car keys and handing them to him before opening the car door. "Are you crazy? Your just gonna wait for an Uber there?" He says. "Yup." I respond. I let out an unintentional sob, as I grab my stuff and get out the car. I saw Colby's eyes soften, but I just turn away. "Caroline I'm sorry. Please get back in." He says. It takes everything in me to keep going. I close the door. "Seriously?" He asks, getting out the car. He walks up to me. "Caroline I'm not gonna leave you. Even if we stay here all night. Please just get in the car, we can at least waite in it. It'll be warmer." He says the last sentence with a small smile. "Okay." I whisper, walking to him. I open the door to the back seat, so I can sit next to him. He gets in next to me closing the door. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried." I whimper out hugging him. "About us?" He asks, hugging me back. "About everything. I'm so afraid that something will happen to split us up. I don't want to lose you too." I say. "too?" He repeats confused. "Colby what if my dad doesn't wake up?" I say, letting out what's really on my mind. "Caroline..." He says squeezing onto me. "He will. Soon too, he's already moving." Colby says in a reassuring tone. "But what if I get my hopes up, for a bad outcome." I say, crying. "He will. Caroline. He will solely because the hope you have in him. I was there, when he moved his hand. It was for you, to show you that he hears everything you say to him. He's fighting to wake up for you, and I know he will wake up. Okay." Colby says. "Okay." I whisper, holding onto him, like my life depends on it. "Why didn't you just tell me that you we're scared?" Colby asks. "Because I knew I couldn't face it alone, but I didn't want to make it your problem, when it's not." I say. Colby pulls away and looks at me. "Of course it is. Your like my other half, anything you feel I do too. I wouldn't have it any other way. You can always come to me. I would never encourage you not to, and I'm sorry if I ever did." He says. "But I just feel bad. You shouldn't have to go through something, because I bring you into it." I say. "You don't. I chose to, because I'll never leave your side. You can let me in. I promise to never hurt you. What if our positions were switched, then would you want me to tell you." He says. "Well of course, but that's different." I say looking down. "No it's literally the exact same thing." He says. "Caroline look at me." He says in a soft tone. I look up. "Promise me you'll just talk to me, because I'm right here. I always will be, so please don't push me away. I love you." He says, his voice becoming scratchy. "I won't. I promise. I love you too." I say, softly smiling, and lightly crying.