Through Highs & lows: chapter 52

"Oh there's quite a few of you." The doctor says, kind of surprised as we all walk in. No one laughs, we all just stand there waiting to hear what's going on. "Okay well... So your husband has made amazing progress." He says to my mom. "So everything's okay?" I say, feeling my hopes heighten. "Beyond okay. He has been reacting to things and even gaining control of consciousness ever once in a while." The doctor, says turning to me. I feel tears forming, as relief fills my body. My heart starts beating a thousand beats a minute. And despite the tears falling a huge smile is on my face. I take in a deep breath, before turning and hugging my mom. The doctor just waits patiently. I let go of my mom and turn back to him. "Sorry." I say, wiping my eyes. "No. Your perfectly fine." He smiles. "But we were going to pull his breathing support, because of the progress and where he is. He should wake up and because he has only been out a few days, some things may be a little fuzzy, but memory won't be too much of a problem. If there is anything unusual he forgets it should return with in twenty four hours. He may need physical therapy for about a week, but nothing too bad. Like I said it's only been a few days, so he should be okay. If we pull the plug. He'll stay in the hospital the rest of today and tomorrow, just to make sure there is nothing irregular happening with his brain, nervous system or anything like that. In two days he can return home." The doctor explains. "So you guys are gonna do it now?" I ask. "Yeah. Well, if you guys are okay with it. We can't do it without your permission. I should tell you that it's a ninety percent chance to go exactly how I described. However that means there is a ten percent chance something can go wrong, from a disorder in his brain or nerves to possibly death, from taking away his dependence on the respiratory machine. Ten percent is a very low chance, but it's still a chance, so I'm letting you know." Though I know my dad is doing okay, my smile starts to fade knowing there's even a chance of something going wrong. Knowing that one of those things could be death though, that's what scares me the most. "I'll give you guys some time to discuss it." The doctor says, preparing to step out. "No need we'll do it." My mom says. I turn to her in shock. "Okay great. I'll get the paper work for you to sign. Then it'll take about an hour before setting everything up and starting the case. The case itself should only take about another thirty minutes to an hour. The doctor says before stepping out, to go get the paper work. "Why did you say yes so quick? Does my opinion not matter. I mean he's only my dad right." I say sarcastically and upset. "He's going to be fine." My mom says. I turn to the group they glance to my mom then look at me. Then they all leave the room. "Caroline. Stop it and think. What's the point of waiting. For the percent to go down a few percentages." My mom says once the doors close. "Yes mom. That is the point. I can't live without my dad. Not yet. What if he dies. That ten percent isn't a big deal until your apart of it." I say as tears form in my eyes and fall down my face. "He's not going to die." My mom says crossing her arms. "And if he does?" I cry. I cover my mouth as a sob comes out. "It's not about you believing in him. What if that's not enough. What are you gonna do if he dies. What would I do?" I ask, not only her, but myself. "I don't know." She says. I hear her voice crack, but she's not crying. "You don't need to always act so strong. You can cry, you can care. That's what you do when it comes to someone you love." I say to her. She swallows her breath. "I'm fine. And he'll be okay." My mom says rubbing my arm, still refusing to cry, even after what I just told her. I push her arm off. "If he dies. I'll blame you for the rest of my life." I say in a cold tone as tears run down my face. "Caro..." I dint let her finish though. I don't want to even hear it. I swing the door open and see the group waiting for us. "Call me when they start the surgery." I brokenly say, storming off and out of the hospital.