Through Highs & lows: Chapter 71

Colby gently places me in the passenger seat of his car, as we prepare to leave. Apparently he wasn't lying when he said I wouldn't be able to walk. "I told you so." He whispers, before kissing my head and closing my door. What the fuck, was he reading my mind or something. I lightly laugh as he walks around to the driver's seat. Colby gets in the car, closing the door beside him. He starts his car and begins to drive to my place. "Colby can you turn on the heater? It's cold." I ask. "Yeah. Of course." He says, reaching forward and turning it on. "Thank you. I should have just taken the shower at home." I say, rubbing my arms through the sleeves of my/Colby's shirt. Colby glances over to me. "It'll warm up soon. Promise." He softly smiles. "Yeah. Thank you." I smile, before leaning my head back, feeling not only cold, but exhausted. The heater finally starts to kick and it honestly makes me feel sleepy. I yawn, before closing my eyes. "What time is it?" I ask Colby. "How should I know? I'm driving." He laughs. I lift my head back up and open my eyes. "Oh duh. Sorry." I quietly laugh, before pulling out my phone. "It's 2:17" I say. "Sounds about right." Colby chuckles. "Mhm." I hum out laying my head back again and closing my eyes. "You really are tired..." Colby states, like a question. "Yeah and I'm dreading having to walk to my front door. Damn and I have to walk up stairs to my room." I sigh. "Damn princess. I'm good aren't I." He teases. "Shut up." I laugh, while flipping him off. I feel the car pull to a stop. "Are we here?" I ask. "No. Stop light." He responds. "Okay. Good." I say. "I'm sure walking isn't that bad." He says. "Shut the fuck up. You know exactly what you did to me." I say. Colby laughs, knowing damn well I'm right. "On the bright side you won't have to go to school tomorrow." Colby laughs. "Yeah, but I honestly think I'd rather go to school." I sigh. "Why would you want to do that?" Colby laughs. "Well because I don't want to go pick up my dad from the hospital. I know it sounds messed up, but I hate seeing him and thinking of him differently than I used too." I say. I feel Colby's hand lay on my lap. I don't lift my head or open my eyes though. I don't move, afraid I'll have to meet Colby's gaze. It's not the pity or anything. It's the fact that his gaze will bring me back to reality. One I want to push off for as long as possible. I feel the car take a familiar turn. I lift my head and open my eyes as Colby drives down my street. "How did you...?" He asks. "I just know." I lightly laugh out, as he comes to a stop. "Okay Colby. I'll see you tomorrow after school or something." I say unbuckling myself. "So your not going to school?" He asks. "I can't." I sigh. "Why not? I'm sure you mom would let you. It's school." Colby says. "Of course she would. Especially if she knew I didn't have the heart to pick up my dad yet." I say, grabbing my bag. "So she would want you to go and you want to go.... But you won't. I'm lost." He says. "No my mom wouldn't want me to go. She would let me go, because she always puts me first. But I can't leave her alone anymore. I can't keep letting get through this on her own. That's selfish." I explain. Colby's eyes go soft, as he looks at me. I sigh, before leaning over the arm rest and kissing his cheek. "I love you, I'll see you tomorrow." I say, before opening the car door. "Oh and Colby..." I say turning back to him. He just continues to stare, with the same eyes as before. "You have to stop looking at me like that. I'm gonna start crying again." I say, before swinging my legs out the car. He reaches for my arm before I can leave. I turn back only to see the same expression. "Crying isn't bad." He says. "Tell me that, after I become a dried up twig." I respond. I see a smile start to form, as he shakes his head. "I guess you got me there." He laughs. "Because I'm always right." I laugh. I hear a low chuckle come from him, as I get out of the car and close the door behind me. I weakly walk up to my front door, my legs feeling like gelatin. I lean against the door, as I search for my keys. I flip off Colby's car as I see the back of it driving off. I know he can't see me, but I'm low key petty about how bad my legs hurt right now.