1. The Day I Left

[•Nuri's POV•]

I have never stepped outside Kerala, and now look at me, gonna board a plane to Turkey!
It was a dream come true though my parents were quite reluctant at first. 

My father ran a lodge on the outskirts of Trivandrum which was fairly popular, and my mother and sister helped him out. God's own country was a popular tourist spot and I've had the chance to interact with so many foreigners but my best friend was Fatoş. 

She was a lively businesswoman on a holiday who had stayed with us for the past few months. At first, I envied her so much. She was the most ambitious and beautiful lady I had ever met. Fatoş had been curious about India and we got along well in no time. She even taught me a bit of Turkish over the months. She was well versed in English, Turkish, German and even Italian.

My forever aim was to become a professional chef and help my parents run the lodge better, for they have done a lot for me. Fatoş encouraged me to fulfill my dreams and said that there was a great university in Turkey which taught gastronomy. It was fairly cheap as well. 

She was positive that I'd get a fine job if I go there. So I convinced my parents somehow. They collected enough money for my year and a half course and I would be staying with Fatoş. She said that she would pay for my flight. I was so happy to have her. She was nearly thirty and I was five years younger but we were the best of friends. I was pretty sad too, I'll miss my family so much, thank god we have phones. 

I had packed everything and Fatoş had even promised to take me shopping when I get there. I had a solitary suitcase and my backpack though Fatoş had two suitcases and a purse. "You sure you want to go?" Asked mom, "I must" I replied and hugged her tightly. She kissed my cheeks and forehead so did my father. My sister, Ankita was also sad but she wouldn't show it. "Don't forget to bring me something, okay?" I laughed and hugged her too.

We reached the airport and after entering the plane, my heart started racing. I was really excited and terrified for my first flight. My eyes wandered around the compact space. The air hostess introduced herself and began talking about the precautions. Fatoş seemed really calm throughout. Unknown faces surrounded me and neither did I know anything about flights.

Fatoş glanced at me and smiled. She caressed my arm softly, "Don't worry Nuri" She chuckled. I nodded nervously and leaned back. The take off was pretty smooth and we were in the clouds already. I found myself drifting off to sleep gradually.

×××

The crescent moon was glowing beautifully in the night sky. I looked over at Fatoş who was sleeping soundly. The pilot made an announcement in a few minutes, saying that we'll be landing shortly. It wasn't a direct flight so our plane stopped at nearly four places before arriving at Istanbul. It was a long and tiring trip.

We were late by a few hours because there was a thunderstorm on our way as we crossed Syria. The plane had experienced a lot of turbulence at that time, so we had to fly slowly. My course at the university was to start after a week, it was astonishing to see your life change so drastically in front of your eyes but I enjoyed every bit.

Fatoş hired a cab after we got off at the airport. The city of Istanbul was really beautiful. Tall skyscrapers hovered above us and the people were all dressed in bright colorful clothes. The wind brushed past my hair and it felt like I was in wonderland. It was nothing like India though. Istanbul made me fall in love at first sight.

 Istanbul made me fall in love at first sight

×××

Fatoş lived in a huge house with a bigger garden. I couldn't believe that she was inviting me to live here. It was stunning but I knew that I wouldn't be able to accept it. 

"Wow" I said pausing in front of the house, "It's really incredible" I grinned. "Come on in, I'll show you around" she beckoned to me. She had told me that she lived with her brother and mom. I was terribly overwhelmed by all that was happening. It felt like a privilege to have Fatoş as my friend, but living with her seemed a bit too much.

"Fatoş, I'm sorry but I can't stay here" she paused and turned around, "Huh? What do you mean?" She was puzzled. "Fatoş, you have done so much for me and I appreciate every single thing... But I'll stay somewhere else by myself, I want to do that" She held my shoulder and smiled, "Is this one of those things where you never back off?" I laughed. "Alright, but... I'll help you search for an apartment too" and I agreed happily.

Her family was back by afternoon and they insisted that I should stay the night with them. They were really kind so I had to agree reluctantly. I spent my day googling for available apartments with Fatosh. We couldn't find anything in the we so she called one of her old friends for help. We finally came across a cute apartment which wasn't too far from my university and Fatoş's place.

Fatoş called the landlady and fixed that we would meet tomorrow. I slept for a long time till dinner as I was pretty tired out. The bed was pretty comfortable as well, I didn't feel like leaving her house!

The landlady, Mrs.Nazmiya, had said that my apartment was shared by two other girls. They had their own rooms and I would have mine. Miss Nazmiya said that I could settle in tomorrow itself as the rooms were already clean and furnished.

I couldn't sleep that night, probably because I had slept too much already or because of my excitement. I twisted and turned in my bed, finally deciding to call mom. 

"Hey mom" "Ah, Nuri... Did you find a new place to stay?" "Yeah, that's why I called, it's an apartment a bit far from Fatoş's place but it's pretty near the university... I'll be sharing the apartment with two other girls. Fatoş called the landlady earlier" I replied. My mom took in a nervous breath as always, "I hope they are good people" she mumbled to herself. 

"You are fine right?" I chuckled, "I am doing great mom" I replied and she hummed in response. I could feel her warm smile from the other side. "Okay then... Good night mom, it's already late, I have got a big day tomorrow, I am hanging up, love you" "Wait! wait! Why are you sleeping so early? It's just going to be 7:30 pm..." She said. "Time runs differently here... It's almost half past eleven" "Oh... Okay, good night... No, what do they say?... Ah! Iyi geceler!" We chuckled.

_______________________
 Last Edited: 11th May 2021