18. Arch Enemies

[•Ferit's POV•]

I woke up as the warm rays of the sun caressed my face. I looked around and the first person who caught my attention was Nuri. She was leaning towards my shoulder, hugging my arm, and was sleeping soundly. I knew I couldn't escape without waking her up, but I decided to try. I stirred a bit but then she woke up slowly and stared at me with her sleepy eyes. "Good morning Ferit bey" she said and smiled "Umm... Günaydın..." I replied. I was unsure of what she was doing as she nuzzled against my arm and closed her eyes as if to sleep more.

She opened her eyes suddenly and stared at me and noticed my coat on her. "I am awake right?" She mumbled and I gave her a light nod. Immediately, she sat up and handed my coat back. "Thank you" She murmured, but before I could reply, I heard something and I was sure she heard it too. We both got out and my guess was right, it was a helicopter and Nuri waved at them. It hovered above us for some time and then came down. Everything was finally alright and we were safe. 

It was a rescue helicopter so it was way bigger than mine and we were on our way back to Istanbul. There were three others with us- Bashir, the pilot- Mr. Osman, and the co-pilot- Alex. Bashir handed us a blanket each. Nuri seemed to be freezing for she gripped her blanket tightly. "You alright?" I asked her worried. "Yes... I am fi-, fi-... Achooo!..." she sneezed. She had a running nose and was shivering too. 

"Can I stay home today, Ferit bey? I will come tomorrow..." she said. "You can come after you are better, even Idris might catch a cold" I said, "You can have my blanket too" I said and put it over her, and wore my coat. "Th- Thank you" she replied and sniffed in her running nose. We reached Istanbul quicker than I expected. Bashir agreed to drop Nuri at her house and then he turned to me, "Ferit bey, will you be coming to the company today?" "Yes, I will go home and freshen up first. I will be there after lunch" I said. He nodded and walked towards the car.

×××

After going home and having lunch, I went to Özgür's place. Idris was in tears when he saw me. He came running and squeezed me, "I thought you'd leave me like mom and dad! I was so scared..." he said and started crying. I lifted him up and he buried his head under my neck. Özgür watched us in silence with a sad but relieved face. "Canım benim, don't say such things okay?" I said wiping his tears and kissed his head. 

"But you went missing with the helicopter! Like they did!" he said still weeping. "But I am here now... I promise I will never leave you alone, please don't cry" I said and hugged him tighter. "Really?" he mumbled and I smiled, "Yes... Really" I replied and a shy smile appeared on his face as I placed him back on the floor. "Now be a good boy and go wash your face" I said and he ran off to the washroom.

"How did he know about it?" I asked Özgür in a disappointed tone, "TV" he replied and sighed, "TV?" "Demir made it a 'missing case' as soon as he knew and called for a press conference" "Bastard..." I murmured to myself, and Idris came back into the room. "Abi, I drew a picture yesterday, do you wanna see it? " I nodded smiling, just so I could make him cheerful again.

Demir would use any trick up his sleeve to defame us, "I called miss Nazmiya as soon as I saw the news, she said you weren't missing and I tried telling that to Idris, but he trusts the TV more I guess" said Özgür and I gritted my teeth. "I still don't know why that guy hates you so much... It's not like you did anything" he said and shrugged his shoulders. "Welcome to our war abi" I replied and sighed. 

Idris came with his picture which was a drawing of a burger. " "It looks delicious champ! Did you eat this yesterday?" I asked, "Yup... But this picture has a deeper meaning" he said in a sly manner. I chuckled, "What's that?" "Uncle said that the tomatoes, the sauce and the lettuce are really good friends in the bugger... It is the same in life too... like us" he said.