5. Finally A Job!

[•Nuri's POV•]

It was an early Wednesday morning.

I was peacefully drinking tea in the kitchen until I glanced at the calendar hanging in the living room. Three months were almost done and Fatoş wasn't back... Another thing that came to my mind was that I needed money for my rent next month. I started getting anxious again till Yeşim came to the kitchen with her toothbrush in one hand. "Good Morning girl" She half yawned, "Good Morning " I smiled at her.

We set the table for breakfast and I was in a hurry as there was an early demonstration on baking. Yeşim was sitting on my opposite side, "Wow Nuri... Your cooking is just too good. I am so lucky that you chose our place!" She blew me a kiss and I chuckled. "I am leaving, bye-bye." Deren said as she went out the door, "Bye" we replied and I got up with my plate. 

Eventually, my eyes landed on the calendar again and I froze. "God no..." I cried staring at it, "What happened?" Asked Yeşim, "I need money to pay the rent next month, what will I do now?" I sat down defeated. "Hmm... I can help you...?" She smiled at me. "How?" I sighed. "I'll lend you-" "No Yeşim... I can't do that... You know right?" She sighed, "Ah, you can find a job then!" She exclaimed happily. 

"But where? I can't sing or write or do anything, just cook" "Then try being a chef" She grinned at me. "Huh? But who will hire me?" I was confused. "Trust me Nuri. People will kill to eat your food" I smiled at her but stared back at the calendar and sighed. "Okay, let's do it like this. First, you go to your university and then we'll search for a job in the evening. I will take out all newspapers and magazines, there'll surely be an ideal job for you in them" She patted my back and I hugged her. "Thank you, I love you" "Who wouldn't?" She smirked and I chuckled, "Go on now or you'll be late" I nodded and rushed outside the building with my bag.

In class, I thought about what Yeşim had said for a long time until my professor asked me to stop daydreaming. I apologized to him after class, and an idea clicked in my mind... "Sir, I've been looking for a job actually..." He raised an eyebrow at me, "Why? Is there any need for money?" I nodded. "I need to pay my rent... Do you think you could find me any part-time job? At a restaurant maybe?" I stared at him hopefully. "Well, I don't know if any restaurants are hiring right now... But I will ask around, on one condition-" He paused. "Sir?" "Don't ever be late to any of my classes or demonstrations, also I will not catch you daydreaming again, understood?" I smiled, hopefully...

 "Sir?" "Don't ever be late to any of my classes or demonstrations, also I will not catch you daydreaming again, understood?" I smiled, hopefully

When I got home, I found Yeşim shuffling through a carton filled with magazines and newspapers. "Welcome home" She smiled at me, "Thanks" I replied and sat down next to her. "I searched everywhere Nuri. I can't believe that there is nothing in them! Only junk ugh. They usually have pretty good offers in this" She sighed. I couldn't help feeling sorry for myself, "Oof ya! Let's go somewhere to get our minds straightened up... I know! Let's go to Deren's bar" She jumped off the couch excitedly. 

"I am very tired Yeşim... I also have tons of homework and a lot more tasks... You go on, I can't come" "Not tonight Nuri. You haven't gone there in ages... I don't want to go alone again" She made a wet puppy face and I sighed. "Fine" I groaned and she did a victory dance that made me laugh. "But... At least tonight you will wear a dress!" She clapped her hands excitedly. "I am not coming" I replied swiftly and got up from the couch. She grabbed my hand with a groan, "Fine wear what you like" I grinned at her and hurried to my room.

I got out wearing my blue jeans and leather jacket. Yeşim was standing near the door wearing a pink gown, "The dress looks really beautiful" I smiled at her. "I know dear... And if you cut your hair short, then I can call you my boyfriend" She put an arm around my shoulder and I laughed. "Sorry, but I don't like to show much skin" I sneered which earned me an eye roll.

I had gone to Deren's bar nearly a few weeks back now. The only reason why I went there was to listen to the songs they played and to hear Deren sing. She had a god-gifted voice and I loved every song they played in the background. I was also making progress by not causing trouble often. My first memories of the place were far from pleasant.

We went inside and as always, the people were dancing to a great R&B song in the background. Deren came to greet us as we sat down at the counter, "Hey! My most favorite audience is here" She smiled at us vibrantly. 

"Of course girl! Now, hand us two glasses of legit scotch" Yeşim turned to give me a wicked smile. I shook my head at her sternly, "Come on now, what's the worse that can happen? You should have the joy of drinking at least once in your life" she announced dramatically. "I do not need that joy in my life" I drew air quotes in front of them. 

"You will stay an alcohol virgin for the rest of your life, is it?" She narrowed her eyes on me and but I ignored her. "Eh? So what will you take?" Asked Deren "Cold lemon juice" I replied and happily drank my fill. 

"Yeşim told me you were job hunting, any luck yet?" Asked Deren, "Not yet..." I sighed, "Uh... Why don't you work here then?" "My parents will kill me if they find out" I replied, "I need a decent job... Something meant for me" I said and sucked at my straw again.

"Nuri?" I heard a voice behind me, "Ezgi? Hey, it's a wonderful surprise!" I exclaimed happily. "I know right! How are you doing?" She hugged me tightly. "I am fine, I never expected to see you here" I grinned and turned to my roomies, "Girls this is my good friend Ezgi. She is my senior at the university. The lemon cake I made last day was her recipe" They smiled at Ezgi and Yeşim hugged her.

"I haven't seen you at the university for a week" Said Ezgi, "Yeah... They decided to change our schedule a bit so even I couldn't come to meet you" I replied. "Hmm... So how was my recipe?" She asked me expectantly, "It. Was. Incredible" Yeşim kissed her fingers and we laughed. "All thanks to you" I chimed in. "Well, I believe there's magic in your hands too" I blushed at the compliment. "Trust me, you two could run a restaurant in a heartbeat" Yeşim replied with a wink.

"A restaurant? Only if she realized the same..." She mumbled to herself. "Huh?" We stared at her unable to process her words. "Don't worry... It's nothing... It won't happen anyway..." She sighed. "Ezgi what's the matter?" "Just forget what I said" She shrugged and looked away from us. "Don't be like that..." I replied and she sighed. "I got an offer to work at a restaurant," she said, "Wow, that's incredible!" "Exactly, you're pretty talented then" Yeşim agreed with me.

Ezgi breathed heavily and turned to face the crowd again, "Won't you work there?" I asked her. "I can't" She replied, "I badly want to but I can't... You see, mom works for this 'so-called businessman'... She wants me to cook for him or she might be fired" "But how can he fire her? Just like that?" I was shocked to know such heartless people existed. 

"Well, mom is his assistant... Moreover, that man is crazy. He leads a very 'robotic' life, but he is filthy rich" She replied nonchalantly. "That's so unfortunate..." I mumbled, "I know right..." She sighed. "Why don't you do it?" Yeşim turned towards me. "Me?" I asked pointing at myself, "Yeah, you can work at his house and she can go to the restaurant. After all, you do need a job, right? This is the perfect opportunity!" She said. 

I paused to figure out the whole deal, it sounded harmless so far. "Will you really do that?" Ezgi took my palm in hers. "But are you sure that he'll be okay with it?" "Of course! He just needs some chef that cooks beautifully. He'll love your food!" She beamed at me. I glanced at the excited girls and sighed, "Okay" I replied. Ezgi squeezed me tightly, "Thank you so much Nuri! You are amazing!" She cried and pulled back.

"But when do I start?" I asked, "Tomorrow morning! At the earliest!" "But what about classes?" I asked, "Don't worry about that, you can cook for him and leave in the afternoon. You can join the second batch for the evening class" She already had everything planned in her head.

"Then, I will go home right now and tell mom the good news. I'll text you the address by tonight. Mom will talk to you soon. I know you'll be amazing! Good Night" She left after giving me a final bear hug. "That was quick..." I mumbled to myself. "Who cares? Let's toast now!" Yeşim announced.

_______________________
 Last Edited: 17th May 2021