7. Sentiments

[•Ferit's POV•]

I parked my car outside the hospital and headed into the building swiftly. Dr.Tarik was near the reception checking some reports. He came towards me with a dull face, "Ferit bey please don't go inside now. Tahir bey is sleeping... He had a few tests in the morning" He informed me. "Did dad eat lunch?" I asked him, "Not yet. He'll eat after the sedative wears off. He's reluctant to eat anything though..." Dr.Tarik sighed. "Uh... Ferit Bey, we need to run a monthly checkup tomorrow morning so we need you to sign a few papers, will you do it now?" I nodded and followed him.

I turned to leave after filling the required documents. In the meantime, I overheard the conversation between the receptionists. "Didn't his son come today?... What fate! The man has cancer and the guy expects him to never die. If I had that money then I would have bought two cars instead" Said the man and rolled his eyes. He didn't see me passing by, of course. I felt my nerves bursting inside me one by one. I glared at him over my shoulder, my eyes were cold and red shot.

His face grew pale and he gripped the counter tightly. The beast inside me was unleashed and I grabbed his collar furiously. "Can you repeat that?" "Ferit bey, I am so sorry. I didn't see you there, please leave me" he begged. "Were you planning to talk these things behind my back then? Huh?!" "Ferit bey please, leave him. Calm down" Dr.Tarik interfered. The man lost his balance when I let go of his collar.

×××

"Good afternoon Ferit bey" Malik greeted me as I exited the car. "The new chef came today," "Hmm okay" I replied and handed him my car keys.

I buttoned my shirt as I went up the stairway and took a shower as soon as I entered my room. It was a horrible day but I felt calm as the warm drops rolled down my skin. I remembered something that dad told me when I was younger... Water is an incredible element. It gives and takes life, and he was right.

I went downstairs to have lunch when I noticed a piece of paper under the jug.

~-~-~-~-~
The pasta is in the microwave. It will be tastier with the tomato sauce which is in the fridge, there's also lemon juice.

Afiyet olsun!

With Love, Nuri

Ps: I really want the job so I hope you like my food.
~-~-~-~-~

I read it a few times. "The guy wrote to me?... It's a girl... Nuri?" I raised an eyebrow. This was a first for me.

The writing was in English, the girl might be foreign, no wonder she wrote to me. I scrunched it into a ball and threw it in the dustbin. I couldn't waste my time reading silly notes, so I grabbed my phone and dialed Miss Nazmiya to fire this 'Nuri' immediately.

I searched the microwave and took out my plate of pasta. The food smelled better than I expected, and Miss Nazmiya picked up as I stabbed my meal with a fork. "Yes, Ferit bey?" "Nazmiya hanim, I want to talk about the new chef-" I placed the fork in my mouth. The flavors hit me like waves, a tsunami. It was the best pasta that I had ever eaten. It made me alter my earlier decision...

"Uh... Is there something wrong?" She asked nervously. "Not really, I just wanted to know about her" I replied as I took the sauce and juice from the fridge. "Well, she is a student at the same university as my daughter. They are friends, Nuri is very talented" "Uh-huh... I figured" I replied and poured the sauce over my plate, another first. "Did you like her food Ferit bey?" "Yes... It can be eaten... But tell her not to leave me notes. I can't waste my time reading them" I replied sternly.

"She left you a note?" I could hear her a light chuckle on the other side. "Yeah... Eating instructions. Tell her if she does it again then I might have to reconsider" "Okay Ferit bey" She replied. "Also..." She continued, "The people from Kasturba corp. have kept a meeting for tomorrow morning. They had asked for the price reports that I sent you yesterday," "Okay Nazmiya hanim, I'll bring them. Have a good day" I hung up.

×××

It was evening by now and I closed my laptop after the final meeting. I went back upstairs to get dressed, dad might be waiting for me.

The hospital was crowded as usual and I walked towards his room. I entered to find Dr.Tarik talking to him and laughing about something. "Ah, welcome son!" I smiled back and sat down next to him. "Welcome Ferit bey" Dr.Tarik greeted me too and I nodded. "I was just telling him about Idris. How much he's grown..." My father held my hand excitedly. "Yes, Tahir told me that he had entered a painting contest last month and came first" The doctor turned to me and I smiled.

"Of course, he's such a smart boy. He told me that he had seen a hot-air balloon from his school garden. That picture had won him the first place" Dad laughed. Whenever he talked about Idris, his joy knew no bounds. A nurse knocked on the door and turned to the doctor, "Dr.Tarik you have a patient waiting" "I'll be there" He said and got up to leave. "I have to go now. See you, Tahir and Ferit bey" he said and left.

"Why does he come around talking stupid things?" I asked my father. "Relax Ferit, he is my only good friend here" Dad chuckled. "Hmm... Anyway... How are you feeling now?" I asked worriedly. "The pain is unbearable and to be honest, I am fading" He smiled warmly. My posture grew tense. "Dad I told you not to say-" "I know, I know... But it is the truth, I am sure you know it better but you don't want to believe it" I looked away.

"Ah, will you bring Idris tomorrow?" He asked me expectantly and I nodded, "I'll bring him here in the evening" I replied. "I wish he didn't stay at boarding," My father sighed. "Well, he insisted on it this term so I had to send him. It's pretty close anyway... He said he wanted to be a 'man' like us" We laughed. "The child is trying so hard" Dad turned away.

"Tahir bey, it's time for your medicine" Another nurse came in now. "I'll get going," I got up from his side. "Good night, don't forget to bring Idris" "Okay dad. Also, I will come tomorrow afternoon and help you shave" I told him. "Why? Don't you think I look handsome with a beard?" I laughed, "You always look handsome baba... Bye" "See you son" he grinned.

_______________________
 Last edited: 19th May 2021