16. A Scary Twist

[Nuri's POV]

He walked towards me and I felt my chest compress, a new kind of feeling

He walked towards me and I felt my chest compress, a new kind of feeling. He took off his glasses and stood before me. Unlike other times, he observed me first. He looked at me head to toe and then broke the silence, "You look like a lady" he said giving me a small smile. "Thank you" I replied as our eyes met, there seemed to be something different about it this time, there was a glint in his eye, a peculiar glint. But I looked away from his eyes noticing the growing tension. 

Another man also stepped out of the helicopter and came and came towards us. "Ferit bey, the controls are working fine, so are the blades, it is fully safe" "Good" he nodded and turned to Bashir, "Çıhan is waiting for you at the company, he called me" "Tamam Ferit bey, I will go there now" he said and headed back to the car. "Shall we, Nuri?" He asked turning to me. I nodded and followed him.

The helicopter was really cool though it was a bit hard for me to get in at the front. There were so many buttons in front of me, Ferit bey got in on the other side. We seemed to be sitting two feet above the ground and not to mention my excitement. "Don't touch anything or move around much, stay put" he told me as if instructing a child. I gave him a careless nod and continued with my observations. 

Ferit bey wore something like a headphone. "Will you be driving this?" I asked. "Yes, is there a problem?" He asked, "You know to drive a helicopter? Wow! Do you own this too?" I asked out of admiration. "Nuri, I own a lot of things... Now wear your seatbelt, let's not waste time" he said, but I couldn't find it. "Where is this thing?" I mumbled slowly to myslef.

Seeing me struggle, he leaned towards me. My heart rate went up and gave a quick glance at my lips then looked back at my eyes. My heart was pounding madly, and I hope he didn't hear it. He gazed at me for some time till he pulled the seat-belt down professionally. It was a different kind of seat-belt, no wonder I couldn't find it. After he pressed it down, I heard a 'click' "There..." He said and looked back at my eyes.

×××

It was fascinating to ride in a helicopter, a lot better than planes, but I was worried of the dark clouds. "The winds are getting tougher" he said and kept talking to his headphones. "We will change course" he said. "Huh?" I was getting kinda scared. "There are dark clouds there, chances of a thunderstorm are pretty high that direction, it is dangerous to fly through it. We will head east" he said, "It will take an hour longer" and I gulped.

After half an hour, we suddenly heard a loud sound like a tyre had bursted. I gripped the seat out of fright, "Ferit bey, what was that?" I asked turning pale, "Calm down... Let me see" and he fiddled with the controls. "The engine will start burning soon" he said without the slightest surprise. "Wait... Wha!? Will we die?" I asked wishing I never accepted the invitation. 

"We won't die Nuri, but we have to land... There... See the island?" He asked. I saw a small speck in the distance. "There are many small islands like this around, but people don't really stay there as they are all far apart" he said and began talking to the headphones. He told them that we were gonna land, he also told the coordinates. I was pale as a sheet and gripped the seat tighter.

The island was very small, we hovered over it for some time and slowly came down but while landing the helicopter was shaking so much that I felt like a cat in water. I took deep and quick breaths, "Nothing can possibly go wrong!" I chanted to myself. Finally, the shaking had stopped, and we landed safely on the beach. My breathing rate was slowly back to normal and I heaved a sigh of relief.

The helicopter had made like a small pit when it landed, "Are you okay?" asked Ferit bey and I loosened my grip on the seat. "I am" I said and tried opening the door, "Pull that handle" he said and the door opened wide. I just wanted to get out of that frightful vehicle. It was a bit hard for me to get out of the pit though, but I was finally out of it and dusted the sand off of me.

Ferit bey got out too and came towards me, "What will we do now? Will it fly again?" I asked him desperately. "I will check that..." he said, "What about the party? do they know about this?" "I have sent Miss Nazmiya our co-ordinates, if we can't get back, they will know where to find us, don't worry. Don't bother about the party" he said, and turned to leave.

I was still in the shock of all that had happened. "Ferit bey! Where are you going?" "To check the helicopter" he said, "Oh, okay, but... uh... what will I do?" "See if there are people around or find something to eat. Just don't get lost" he said. He dropped his coat on the sand and slid back into the pit. 

I walked around the sand a bit. What fate! I had to wear a gown exactly on this day. It was so hard to cope with it, but I forgot all about it as I was lost in the beauty of the island. I have never been to such a beautiful place ever before. It grew thicker towards the center and I really wanted to explore the island better, as long as there were no dangerous animals.

Ferit bey won't definitely notice my absence for half an hour. I slowly moved into the forest, the floor was damp but the cover wasn't that thick. There was a beautiful fragrance coming from somewhere, something sweet for sure. I walked in deeper, I saw many birds and even spotted a monkey. The place was so lively and I felt the scent getting stronger.

×××

I lost track of time, but the scent was so near me... I ignored everything else and set out to find it. The noises of the night grew louder and I was deafened by the birds and insects. After passing a few more bushes, I came across a huge tree. It was so big and had thick canopies, the scent was obviously from its flowers but I couldn't find any, only something like... black balls hanging from the branches?

"Is that a fruit?" I asked myself. I had no idea but it smelled so good, suddenly I noticed something moving. One of the fruits were moving, and something sparkled from it, I couldn't make out what it really was, but definitely not a fruit. I tried moving closer to the tree, to get a better view, but I tripped over its root, and I thought I had got rid of my clumsy nature...

At that time, all the fruits started flying! I was scared to death. 

They were bats, millions of them. They looked so scary at night with their massive wings, I tried getting up to run, then something green fell in front of me, it was a freaking snake! So the bats weren't enough!? I screamed with all my strength and and ran, but I had no idea where. 

I was so scared that I couldn't even think!
But then something caught hold of me... Something warm and big... 
Very similar to a bear... Oh god...

___________________________

 Last Edited: 3rd November 2020