12. All On Me

[•Ferit's POV•]

(Starts from where Nuri has just left to attend the phone call)

Idris was going on with the tale of how he and his friend made a rainbow-colored kite till he got up to use the toilet. Nuri hadn't come back yet and I checked my watch, realizing that it was already late and I had to drop her home. My father turned to me then, "You worried?" "Huh? Why would I be worried?" He pretended not to know but guess.

"Who knows... Maybe because the girl didn't come back yet... Or something" Of course! "Dad, come on" I rolled my eyes. "Ferit, Look here," He turned serious. "After I am gone who do you have, huh?" I didn't reply to this but gritted my teeth. "She is a fine girl. Well mannered, kind and beautiful too. It's perfect! Now-" "Sorry to interrupt your speech but I need to drink some water and since your bottle is empty, let me go fill it" I got up, congratulating myself mentally for finding the best excuse.

The filter near the counter was under repair so I went to the other one. To my relief, the hospital wasn't that crowded in the evenings as compared to the afternoons, probably because most of the surgeries were at that time. Suddenly I caught a glance of Özgür a few meters ahead of me, he was leaning forward and his face was hidden by the filter, but then I realized that he was strangling someone. A girl.

"Özgür!" I called, he leaned back to face me. Then suddenly, the girl pushed away Özgür and ran past me, it was Nuri. I wasn't often this mad at anyone, but Özgür. He stood there smirking like a maniac, "What are you doing?" I barked out and his smirk grew wider. Nuri was my priority at that moment.

I went after her and caught up with her just as she was hiring a cab. I grabbed her hand as politely as possible, "Nuri-" She cut me short, "Ferit bey, your brother is a jerk! And from now on, I have nothing to do with you or your family. I quit!" She was trembling, her eyes were red as she spoke and she shook off my hand before getting in the cab. It was the first time in my life that I felt this humiliated. The first time when someone left me hanging and I was empty for reasons.

I went back into the building and found Özgür around the corridor. "You fired her right? She wasn't good anyway" He smirked again triumphantly, but I wanted to punch him in the face that very moment. "What are you doing Özgür? Huh? Are you a maniac?" "You can't call your brother a maniac!" He laughed aloud. I was sure that he was drunk. "You drank a lot, eh?" I asked. "Nah, I haven't drunk a drop in my life" He laughed again.

I was frustrated by everything that just happened. "How did you get here?" I asked, "Taxi" He mumbled followed by a yawn. I put his arm around my shoulder and lead him to my car, locking him inside, and went back to get Idris. "Abi, where is Nuri?" Idris asked me as I entered, "She had to go back home urgently and so do we" I said gathering his things. "It's still early" "But look, you have become drowsy. Let's go buddy" I ruffled his hair before turning to my father, "Dad I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon so I will come in the evening" He nodded and kissed Idris's forehead. "See you boys." "Bye," We replied.

"Your uncle is here" I turned to Idris. "Where? I can't see him. Why didn't he come to meet grandpa?" "He was not feeling well, so he sat in the car" I replied. Özgür was already asleep when we got to the parking lot and Idris got in the back without disturbing him.

The drive home was silent as even Idris fell asleep. I first drove to Özgür's place and helped him out of the car. He collapsed on his bed and I let him be before shutting the door behind me. I went home and put Idris to bed too. The day was very tiring and I couldn't sleep a wink. I thought about how hurt Nuri must have felt when abi kissed her. I knew I had to take Özgür there first thing in the morning and make him apologize.