24. Closer

[•Nuri's POV•]

We stood there shocked.

He was wearing a funny bathrobe and just kept staring deep into my eyes. I didn't know what to say. "Happy New Year" he said and let me loose, "Uh... Happy New Year" I replied, trying to be polite. "Ferit bey, what are you doing here?" I asked, "What do you mean? What are you doing here barging in like this?" He retorted showing his true colors. "You can't come here like this!" I replied. "Well, why can't I stay in my room?" he shrugged.

"Huh?" "Yes Nuri, I paid the money. I own the room" he said and I gasped. "Now if you will excuse me, I had a really long flight, let me take a shower and go to bed" he said. "Wait a minute, but why did you come here?" "You know the answer" he said and went to the bathroom. "Whatever you do, I am not coming back to work" I said following him. 

He turned to face me when he neared the door, "Are you gonna come in there too?" He asked. "Ugh!" I stormed out and he followed me to lock the door. That was the most restless night of my life. Did he really come all this way to talk to me? Why does he keep chasing me whenever I run away? It was all a blur to me. 

Morning came and mom had said that Omana aunty and Ashok would join us for breakfast. In the lodge, there was a shady patch of grass and a small cottage next to it, the canteen. Our customers usually had breakfast in that yard and sometimes we joined them. My mother, and three more ladies had prepared it, but I wasn't looking forward to it especially since the idiot was coming with his annoying mother.

I was setting the tables. Five customers were there with us, but only two of them were going to have breakfast, a family from Bangalore and an old couple from Calicut. We served them and even Ashok came soon after. He looked taller and had a small patch of hair on his chin. Ankita had said that he had been going to the gym lately, and his arms looked puffed up. But he still had his idiotic smile and the dumbest expressions. 

He saw me and beamed. I turned to escape to the kitchen but then, Ferit bey appeared. I had totally forgotten about him. He had his sunglasses on and his coat in his hand. His posture was utterly beautiful. He came towards me, "Good morning" he said taking off his glasses and gave me a warm smile. "Morning" I replied, forgetting everything that had happened between us.

My father came towards us then. He raised his hand as if to ask whether Ferit bey was hungry and he nodded. But all the tables were occupied. My father then turned to me and pointed to both of us and himself, he wanted me to ask if Ferit bey would like to join our table. "No..." I mumbled and shook my head. He raised an eyebrow and I sighed, "Ferit bey, would you like to join us for breakfast?" 

For a split second, he gave me that same special stare and turned to nod at dad. We sat down to eat and Ferit bey sat near me. Ashok was sitting opposite to us and kept staring at me like watching a movie. He glared at Ferit bey too but he didn't pay the slightest attention. Then Ashok made weird postures and Ferit bey looked up at him with narrow, confused eyes. 

"Nuri, how are you?" Asho asked suddenly and leaned forward. "Good thank you" I said and leaned back. Then the other ladies brought breakfast. It was puttu with kadala curry, and I smiled at my plate. I glanced at Ferit bey who was staring at the plate stolidly. The food was alien to him and I realized that, "I can't eat this" he whispered. "I know... Keep your glass of water near my hand" I whispered back. 

He looked at me confused, "Huh? Why?" "Just do it" I whispered back and for the first time he listened to me. I pretended to take my glass but knocked his one causing the water to flood his plate. It also made his sleeve slightly wet and he had never expected me to do that. "I am so sorry Ferit bey!" I said and got up.