10. Fighting Boredom

[•Nuri's POV•]

When I returned home at night, Yeşim greeted me with her fabulous chamomile tea. She said that Deren would be late as she had a few programs at the bar. "Can we go out tonight?" She asked, "I am really tired today Yeşim. A lot of things have happened" "Huh? What happened?" She sat down next to me, anxious to hear about my rough day.

"I met my boss, Ferit Aras." I said, "You didn't even tell me his name till today... Is he married?" "Seriously Yeşim?!" I groaned. "Fine, fine, go on" She chuckled. 

I told her all about Idris, his annoying uncle, and how I and Ferit met. "You wanna know the worst part?" She nodded, "Ferit bey turned out to be the same guy with whom I fought on my first visit to the bar" "Ah! That's such a coincidence! So he is hot...." She said with a wink, I rolled my eyes.

"I know who Özgür is though," She said and opened her laptop to poke at the internet. "Is this the guy?" She asked, "Özgür Bayas... Yeah, that's him... He is a photographer and playboy, what a reputation" I said and Yeşim slapped my hand, "Don't say such things about him. Özgür is my idol" This jerk? 

"All his snaps are legendary. Nuri will you please introduce him to me? We'll meet him tomorrow at work, I'll come with you" She pleaded, going on complete fangirl mode. "No my dear, I will take you there some other day. By the way, I don't have university tomorrow so I will be back from work early. Good night now" I said and got up.

×××

The next morning when I reached the house, I saw Idris playing football alone. "Good morning big guy!" I called out to him, "Nuri! Good morning!" He came running to hug me and I kissed his head. "I missed you" "Aw, even I missed you sweetie" I replied. 

Three pairs of eyes were staring at me from the living room now- Özgür, Ferit bey, and some other guy. They were watching us from the living room. "Good morning" I smiled at them, Özgür smiled back in his cocky fashion, Ferit bey nodded and the other guy smiled back in a friendly way.

I went to the kitchen and Idris tagged along, "Nuri, nobody is playing with me. Abi and uncle are busy even-" At that time, the other man came to the kitchen. "Hello, can I have a glass of water?" He asked, I nodded and handed it to him. "I am Çihan by the way, it's nice to meet you" We shook hands, "I am Nuri" I replied with a smile. He seemed rather friendly compared to the others.

"Idris told us all about your custard," He said with a chuckle. "Çihan abi, can we go and play now?" Asked Idris. Çihan ruffled his hair, "I am sorry Idris. I need to go to the company, I have a meeting soon. We'll play tomorrow okay?" Idris agreed with a sigh.

After half an hour, Ferit bey came into the kitchen saying that I didn't have to make dinner for them today and I nodded. Idris wandered into the kitchen again, "I am so bored" He groaned. "Your vacation has just started big guy" I laughed "But I am bored" He frowned. "Go wash your hands and come," I said. "Will you make something to eat?" "Nope, you will make something to eat" I grinned.

He washed his hands and I gave him a spare apron. "What do you want to make?" "Pizza!" He replied. I chuckled, "Let's first start with something easier. An omelet for example, then we will move forward" "Okay" He replied. I took a bowl and cracked in two eggs, "Whisk it carefully while I cut the onions, kay?" He nodded. After cutting the onions, I called him near and showed him how to cut tomatoes and he added it all and whisked the eggs again.

Idris insisted on putting ketchup so I had to agree, he even put some cheese in it. "It's time to cook it big guy," I said and he saluted me, "Yes ma'am" I laughed. He grew impatient and burned his finger by touching it. "It will cool down in five minutes, by that time, go and remove your apron and your nose still has ketchup on it," I said. He giggled and ran off but came back in a jiffy.

I had cut the omelet into 8 pieces like a pizza and Idris was trembling with excitement to try it but he took the plate and went to the living room, "Look! I made it myself!" He said and handed each slice to the men. "It's amazing," Said Özgür, and Çihan agreed. "You have become a little chef now, eh buddy?" Ferit bey ruffled his hair playfully. Whenever he was with the boy, he turned into a different person altogether.

×××

"I have a meeting now, I am going to the company." Said Çihan, "I will come with you too. I left my car there," Özgür and Çihan got up to leave. "Okay, then I will leave for the hospital with Idris," Said Ferit bey. I finished cooking and was about to leave when Özgür came into the kitchen. "Is it done?" He asked, "No" I replied and wiped the table as an excuse. "I thought I could drop you home, maybe?" He stared at me with that fake prince charming smile.

"Nuri is coming to the hospital with me" Idris crossed his arms and grinned proudly, "You are?" Asked Özgür, "Uh... Yes." I said so as not to get into his car. "Özgür, let's leave" Çihan called him. He nodded and followed Çihan after giving me a last glance. "Bye Nuri," Çihan turned to me and I smiled. "Idris come on let's go" Ferit bey called him from the living room. "Abi, Nuri is also coming with us!" He exclaimed happily.

"Huh?" He raised an eyebrow, "Uh... I don't want to disturb you... I don't have to go..." I mumbled, "You must! Grandpa will love you!" Said Idris, "Idris don't be stubborn. If Nuri doesn't want to, don't insist buddy. What if she has to go somewhere else?" Idris frowned and turned at me. His puppy eyes were so effective, "Uh... I don't have to go anywhere after here but-" "Yippee! So you are coming with us!" he cut me short and ran up to his room which made me chuckle.

I removed my apron and went to the room to fetch my jacket. I straightened my hair in front of the mirror and got out to find Ferit bey waiting. He was so quick. "Shall we?" He asked and I nodded. "Idris?" "I am searching for a picture... Found it!" He came running and handed it to Ferit bey, I took a peek at it. 

It was a dog with curly brown hair and a long nose, "Who's this?" Ferit bey asked him with a warm smile. "One day at school, this dog came into our playground. It was so friendly, you should have seen him abi. The big boys fed him and named him Burly" "Burly? Why's that?" I asked with a chuckle. "Uff Nuri, 'cause he's brown and curly, so Burly!" Ferit bey chuckled.

Idris got in the back as we reached his car. The feeling of guilt took over me again and I couldn't help asking, "Ferit bey are you sure I am not disturbing you?" "Well you are but since Idris wants you to come, I can't say no." He replied and got in the driver's seat.

I expected him to say 'It will be my pleasure!' or 'not at all' at least, but this guy was as hard as a log, cold too. When I opened the back door to sit with Idris, the traitor didn't let me. "I move around a lot in a car, so can you sit in the front Nuri?" I hesitated but had to accept, and sat in the front with the cold log.

I could see Ferit bey smiling to himself, why was he this annoying?

_______________________
 Last Edited: 27th May 2021