9. An Awkward Meet

[•Nuri's POV•]

I reached Ferit bey's house early today and made my way to the kitchen to check the fridge. "Well, he hasn't eaten you" I grinned to myself. "What's not eaten?" I turned around, Idris had come to the kitchen in his pj's. "Good morning big guy" I smiled at him. "Good morning" He yawned and sat on the chair in front of me. 

"Who were you talking to, Nuri?" Idris asked me while rubbing his eyes, "The custard" I replied. "What were you telling the custard?" His innocent face giggled. "The custard is sad 'cause nobody ate her" The boy laughed even more. "Will she mind if I eat her?" He asked, "Let me ask" I said and pretended to talk to the custard. "She won't mind as long as you've brushed your teeth" I replied. "Okay, I'll eat him after brushing" He ran off.

Özgür came into the kitchen then, "Good morning" He smiled and I greeted him back. "I have to go out for some time, will you stay with Idris till then?" "Yeah, sure" I nodded. "Great... Will you give me your number when I'm back?" He grinned cheekily. "Maybe later" I replied, my tone made it clear that I was annoyed.

Idris came back to the kitchen and I gave him the custard. "It's so good!" He said digging in. "Won't you have breakfast?" I asked, "I will... But after I eat this, please don't tell my uncle, Nuri" He looked up at me with puppy eyes. I laughed, "Hmm... fine, I'll keep your secret," I said.

"Idris, don't you have school today?" "Nope, our class this term ended yesterday. I wanted to go to a boarding school this year. Next term onward, I will stay here in Istanbul" he replied. He looked adorable with his puffy cheeks and bouncy hair.

"How come you speak English so well?" I asked and he suddenly fell silent. "What happened?" I asked him, "My parents wanted me to go to an English medium school" His voice cracked. I squatted in front of him. "Idris, are you okay?" I caressed his golden curls, "You know what? Even after the accident, I wanted to go to an English medium school so that mom and dad won't be sad" His eyes welled up.

His words pierced through my heart as he wiped his eyes, "Shhh... Don't cry, my dear" I smiled at him. "I'm hungry," He said and I chuckled. "I'll bring you breakfast" "Can we play after that?" I laughed. "What do you want to play?" "With water guns!" His mood was restored. "Hmm... But won't your clothes get wet?" "I will make our shields with cardboard" He was smart too. "Alright, by the time you make our shields, I'll finish cooking. Deal?" "Yes!" He gave me a high five.

×××

It was nearly lunchtime and Idris came back to the kitchen with two big pieces of cardboard. "Nuri look, I even made handles for this!" He handed me a piece and I smiled at him. "Did you finish cooking?" "Almost done. Let me just take the pan from the oven, okay? " He nodded and went to the living room.

Idris and I played for a long time in the yard. He was such a lively and sweet boy, his parents were lucky. He hid behind the stairs leading to the courtyard and I pretended to not see him. He came running towards me suddenly, "I heard the car's sound, uncle is coming! Let's hide behind the couch. When he comes to take the newspaper, we'll shoot together!" He said. Slapping Özgür was the original idea in my head but this could work too. Also, even if I did end up slapping me, he can't fire me. Only Ferit bey can.

"Okay" I agreed and we swiftly hid behind the couch. I bent low behind his tiny figure and he hid behind his shield. Our guns were loaded, "He's coming, he's coming!" Whispered Idris, "Can you see him?" "If I look up then he might catch us. Shhh!!! I can hear him walk... On the count of three... 1... 2... 3!" We jumped and pulled the trigger with full force. I hoped to see Özgür's wet face and ask him if he still wanted my number.

 I hoped to see Özgür's wet face and ask him if he still wanted my number

Idris dropped his gun, "Ferit abi...?" He froze. I lowered my shield. My gaze met with the cold and familiar eyes of the handsome man in front of me. I was dumbstruck. He looked as if he had stepped under a waterfall. I came back to my senses then... I was gawking at him... But wait, did Idris just call him Ferit abi?

I dropped my gun and the man wiped the water off his face with his forearm. "I thought you were going to be uncle, sorry abi" Idris used his puppy eyes, but what was going to save me? "You came to my house to take revenge on me, deli kız?" Everything suddenly clicked in my head. That day at the bar, the same guy, the argument, alcohol, the way he held me... 

"I am talking to you, what are you doing here?" He was furious. "I... Uh... You... Are you Ferit bey? I mean... Ferit Aras?" The crease between his brows thickened. "I am Ferit Aras and you are in my house. Aren't you supposed to answer my question first?" "Uh... Yeah, about that... I... uh... I am your... Chef" I haven't been this humiliated before. "Are you Nuri?" I smiled at him nervously. 

"Abi, you don't know her?" Asked Idris, "Now I do buddy... Why don't you take these guns and cardboard pieces inside? I need to talk to Miss Nuri alone" I shivered at his cold tone. Idris took the things inside and left us alone. Ferit bey turned back to me, You could use a towel..." I mumbled and was about to flee for good when till husky voice kept me trapped, "Nuri" I was dead.

I turned to face him again, "I am terribly sorry Ferit bey, for today and... umm... That evening" I said nervously. "You can take your things and leave" "Am I fired?" My jaw dropped.

Idris came around then, "Nuri has an excellent aim right?" He asked with a smirk. "Wouldn't she?" His eyes pierced into mine for a second. "Goodbye, miss Nuri. Nazmiya hanim will contact you" He turned to go inside when Idris caught his hand. "Abi won't she come back here?" The boy glanced at me and Ferit bey worriedly. I sighed, "Abi please... I asked her to shoot you... We thought it would be uncle... I'm sorry" The boy was a pro when it came to making a puppy face.

Ferit bey glanced at Idris and turned back at me, "Were you planning to shoot Özgür?" "Ferit bey, it was a big mistake. I am very sorry" I pleaded. "Abi please" I would love to pinch his chubby cheeks now. Ferit bey glanced at the both of us again and sighed, "Fine..." He walked away grumpily. "So I am not fired?" I called after him. He turned back annoyed, "Not yet but don't make a habit of it" His brows were still wrinkled, it was unhealthy for his handsome face.

"Yippee! You'll keep working here!" Idris jumped into my arms and I chuckled. "But what happened when you first met? Why was abi this angry?" He asked me with curious eyes. "Hmm... Did you fire water at abi earlier?" I laughed, "No big guy, I'll tell you later" I put him down and he nodded.

"Your Abi has an amazing memory though," "I know right, that's why he always remembers my exam results" Idris groaned and I chuckled. "I need to go home now dear. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" I kissed his cheek, "Bye-bye Nuri" He waved back.

_______________________
 Last Edited: 26th May 2021