🏔Chapter Nineteen🏔

Y/n's POV

We had been traveling almost all day on the ostrich horse. Miraculously, we all somehow fit on it.

I sat in the front, Zuko in the middle, and Iroh on the back.

I'm happy the three of us are together again. I smiled.

Now we were trekking through the desert.

"Can I walk? I need to stretch my legs some." I said, looking back at Zuko.

"Of course." He said, stopping the animal.

"We're not far from a town." Iroh said, getting off. "We should walk from here anyway."

We all got off the animal, Iroh walking in front of us.

Soon, we reached the town and walked into a small shop.

It was dark now.

The three of us sat at a table.

"No one here is gonna help us." Zuko said. "The people here just look like filthy wanderers." Zuko said.

"So do we." Iroh laughed.

"Rude." I said, sticking out my to the teasingly. "I look great." I giggled.

"You do." Zuko said, taking a sip of his drink.

I blushed.

"Shut up, I'm still mad at you." I said, turning away embarrassed.

"I thought we made up!" Zuko said defensively.

"I think I've found our friend." Iroh said, standing up.

We looked towards where Iroh was walking.

"You brought us here to gamble on Pai Sho?!" Zuko frowned.

"I don't think this is a gamble." Iroh replied, walking over to the board. We followed as he approached the table. "May I have this game?" He asked the frail looking bald man.

"The guest has the first move." The man said, gesturing to the board.

Iroh sat down, placing a piece on the board.

"I see you favor the white lotus gambit." The man said. "Not many still cling to the ancient ways."

Ancient ways? I wondered, curious. That's a strange way to talk.

"Those who do can always find a friend." Iroh replied.

"Then let us play." The man put a piece down.

They took turns putting down pieces with speed.

Zuko and I took a seat at the table. I leaned against his shoulder, my hands in my lap.

"I thought you were still mad at me?" He smirked, cocky.

"Shut up." I said, giggling.

He reached over sneakily and put his hand over mine. I smiled and entwined my fingers with his.

"Welcome, brother." The bald man said.

I looked at the board.

They had made a giant white lotus.

"The white lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets." The bald man spoke poetically.

"What are you old gasbags talking about?" Zuko demanded.

I punched him in the arm. He glared at me out the corner of his eye.

"I always tried to tell you that Pai Sho is more than just a game." Iroh said, sighing.

"It's over!" A voice shouted. "You three fugatives are coming with me." Two men came up to us.

The bald man stood up.

"I knew it! You three are wanted criminals with a giant bounty on your heads!"

"Oi, what's with this three business? What did I do wrong?" I pouted.

"I thought you said he would help us!" Zuko shouted at his uncle.

"Idiot." I said.

"He is, just watch." Iroh told him.

"You think you're going to capture them and collect all that good?" The bald man said loudly.

People began murmuring.

Then fighting.

The bald man quickly led us out the shop and into another building while the men were distracted.

"It is an honor to welcome such a high-ranking member of the order of the white lotus." The bald man said, bowing. "Being a grand master, you must know so many secrets."

I grinned.
Iroh, you never fail to surprise me.

"Now that you've played Pai Sho are you gonna do some flower arranging?" Zuko asked sarcastically as we walked through the shop. "Or is someone in this club gonna offer some real help?"

"Hey, maybe they could teach you. Then you could make a girl happy for once." I retorted.

He looked at me, shocked.

"You must forgive my niece and nephew. They are not initiates, and have little appreciation for the cryptic arts." Iroh said.

The bald man knocked on the door at the back.

"Who knocks at the garden gate?" A voice asked.

"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted it's mysteries." Iroh replied robotically.

The door opened.

Iroh and the bald man walked in. As Zuko tried to walk in, the door slammed in his face.

"I'm afraid it's members only. Wait out here." Iroh said.

Zuko pouted, leaning against the wall. I grabbed his arm playfully.

"Hey, cheer up." I smiled at him. He looked down at me, staring into my eyes. "Uh...what?" I asked, confused.

He pulled my body into his.