34

"so, what made you start liking me in the first place?" the brunet's head lolled, tilting to watch his feet crunch the rocky trail beneath their feet. "i treated you so poorly..." daniel gave a small squeeze to corbyn's hand, feeling the blond maneuver as their fingers weaved together. he swallowed, eyes locked on the ground. i wouldn't like me.

"it was nice when you were nice to me," corbyn snorted at his poor choice of words. "like when we hung out on your roof, the massage, the reassurance when i told you about my family. those things, y'know?"

daniel glanced over at corbyn, seeing the blond's head tilted up to peer through the overlapping branches above. the leaves rustled in the wind, the sprinkling rain had died down, leaving a dampened nature scent in the calm atmosphere of the night.

"plus, i could see you from above, you're talented, you're kind to your friends, don't even get me started on your looks. they're really a bonus, though." his head turned, meeting daniel's eyes with a smile at the recognition that the brunet had been staring. "you're quite perfect in my eyes, if i'm being honest."

daniel's cheeks were warming up, smile directed to the ground before it faltered. "you know i'll forever be sorry for what i've done, right?" his thumb ran over corbyn's from the positioning of their hands, and corbyn returned the movement.

"it's okay, dani, really. i forgive you, we all make mistakes."

the silence was comfortable, leaving corbyn's mind to wander amongst the susurration of the woods in their surroundings. the faint rippling river faded, leaving the crumble of their feet weighing into the gravel path below as it harmonized with the whistle of wind swirling around the trees above.

"i uhm— i like how you're always around..." daniel couldn't exactly find the right words.

"i know i've called you clingy, and i've been annoyed at it sometimes... but your company is my favourite," he nibbled at his lower lip, seeing corbyn smile in the peripheral. "without my family i was alone, like, my friends don't know half the shit you do. i see them in school and we hang out but every night would end the same, alone, empty, quiet."

"don't get me wrong, quiet is nice, but it started to hurt over time, until you came along. i complained— just because it was an adjustment— but i do, i like having you around, corbyn."

the blond boy retracted his wings, nodding at daniel in quiet thanks. when they had to walk on the side of the road, he stepped closer to daniel's side, not having found the proper words to respond to daniel.

in the silence, daniel continued, knowing full well he was rambling, but corbyn didn't seem to care. "you keep me on track, make sure i'm okay, and we get to have fun in the midst of it all. you've shown me what i've been missing for so, so long. i'm so thankful to have you in my life, and uh, i would've probably met you somewhere else if you weren't allowed down here in the first place..."

a frown etched onto corbyn's lips, squeezing daniel's hand in his. "hush up about that. you're here, you're meant to be here, and i really hope you know that. you have so much potential in this world, trust me."

daniel nodded small, meeting corbyn's eyes from a side glance as he nudged him with his elbow. the angel's brows furrowed, nudging him back with a daring grin replacing the previous frown.

they picked and poked at each other for the rest of the walk, at one point daniel took off and they ran the rest of the way, the giggling of corbyn along with a, 'oh, you're on, seavey!' echoing in the empty street.