44

corbyn, after only thinking about daniel, could find his head swarm with horrid, rude thoughts and his heart swell to sink. he swallowed, hand jittery with the phone in his palm. there wasn't much he could do when the beeps progressed and a long hum ran to his ear, fixing the phone against it.

after two rings the call was answered, "mr. besson, is it? what can we do for you today?"

"uhm, is mr. harrow in right now?"

"yes he is, his office is open if you want to come visit." the 'y' and 'e' were elongated from whichever desk lady was working at the moment, seeming as if she were to lean back in her chair and look at the door of his office.

"oh, yes... can you tell him i'll stop by soon?"

"of course! we'll be expecting you." the interaction was short, corbyn releasing a sigh as he slumped back into the computer chair, call ending. is this really a good idea?

yes, of course it is, what are you thinking? do you want to ruin daniel's life? you fixed him, he's doing better, he doesn't need you to hold him back from the world.

corbyn swallowed, nodding at the harsh words morphing in his mind. he stood from the chair, pulling a sweater overhead and picking out a random pair of shoes, the ground was more wet today, being rainy down below. as much as he wished to go for a simple slip on sandal, he figured it'd be best to be somewhat presentable for his mentor.

just at the door, he called out to saskia, who hobbled over to him with a pep in her step that seemed to shrivel the closer she became. she planted a kiss on his cheek, hugging him by the shoulders.

with a simple, short message for luck, corbyn was out of the house. his 'school' wasn't too far away, and as much as he could fly, he'd rather walk.

"well, yes, i do understand your points here but are you one hundred percent certain you want to quit? see, what happens if you're his life support?"

corbyn's head raised from his lap, "life support?" elaborate, please.

mr. barrett sighed, slumping into his chair. his stiff demeanour faltered, eyes tracked on the ceiling in thought.

"sometimes people connect themselves to someone in circumstances that they need help with, say, a person with a broken heart may move on quickly to fill the gap that someone left. sometimes, in situations like this, one person may be a life support, one of the only reasons they're left alive..." his head fell to a normal angle, seeing corbyn's brows furrow slightly, processing the words. "he may've found a home in you, a support."

corbyn's expression faltered, shifting between confusion to sadness. he gnawed at his inner cheek, a frown settling on his features. "i don't want to hurt him when i have to leave... it's better sooner than later." it was almost as if barrett's words went through one ear and out the other, but they knotted into corbyn's brain and he didn't know what to make of it.

"we'll have to take your desk in a week or so, not many people quit the program but i get where you're coming from... we need to order some movers for a day so i'll have to call you sometime this week."

the guardian— or, maybe ex-guardian now— nodded his head with a wavering smile, raising up from his seat. surprisingly, their interaction lasted for a half an hour or so.

now, all that's left is to leave...

EXTRA NOTES
-apologies this is short but i have another since i was gone for a week

-we been ouchin but its ok😌✨💅