Kageyama Tobio (2) Hello, Pretty Nurse

Again, spoilers for season 4. Adorbs Kags ahead. You have been warned.

I don't know what overcame me on that first day when I helped Kageyama Tobio stretch, but I didn't even have time to think about that. When I was led to my room in the place where the whole camp staff and participants were staying, I wasn't even given a chance to rest. I quickly changed into a comfortable pair of tights and a large hoody and got to studying. I had some free time between the practice and lunch so I could use that to read a bit. Just as I got into it, a knock on my door resonated around me. I called the person outside and told them to come in while still sitting on the ground with a book in hands and a pen between my lips.

"I never thought you're such a big nerd, (L/N)-san," Atsumu said. I could hear the grin in his tone. With a click of my tongue, I looked up and arched an eyebrow at him. "What do you need, Atsumu? Did something happen?" I asked rather standardly. The boy shrugged and walked in the room, looking around as if there was something to see. "Nope. I just wanted to hang out with you. I told the coach I needed some bandaid so cover for me, please." The smirk that followed the request made even the please at the end sound sinister. I sighed and put my book down, reaching over my futon to the bag with supplies and pulled out a pack of bandaids. I tossed it at him and picked my book up, returning to solving the questions. "Use them to tape your mouth shut."

I don't know what his goal was but, to Atsumu, I was apparently a comedian god. When he laughed out at my statement, I looked up with a deadpan expression, not sure what to say to him. I was totally exasperated.

"It's lunchtime, (F/N)-chan. Let's go together!" I picked my phone up to notice that he, in fact, was right and stood up, marking the page I was on by leaving a pen inside the book. I put my phone and room key inside my pockets and, without bothering with the kid inside my room, left. He slipped out just as I was about to lock the door and then followed me to the cafeteria.

We made our way to the cafeteria and I picked the food I wanted to eat before making my way to the table where coaches were sitting.

As I made my way through the room, I was called yet again. "(L/N)-san, you can sit with us," one of the boys said. I frowned and looked at them, only to notice the demon setter looking at me. I nodded my head and slowly made my way towards the table where he and another boy were sitting. I was wary of the motive behind this, however, because Kageyama Tobio was extremely introverted. I don't think I've seen him talk to someone outside of the court once today. Even on the court, he was very stiff and didn't say more than was absolutely necessary.

I sat down and greeted the boy that sat next to him. He nodded with a smile and returned to his food. "You're a setter, (L/N)-san, right?" As the dark-haired boy said that, it clicked in my brain. "Yes. Yes, I am," I said, not knowing how else to respond. "Did you stop playing after high school?" He asked me again. I blinked a few times and finished chewing my food. "No. Not entirely. Why?" Kageyama nodded his head and put some food in his mouth, too, before replying. "I stopped seeing you in the news. I thought you stopped playing entirely." As he said that, I felt myself grow cold.

So he heard of me.

My head was swirling with different responses I could give him, but none was good enough. "I didn't stop entirely. I did turn down the offers for professional teams, though," I said and looked down at my food. "I suffered a bad injury last year and it reminded me that no matter how good I was at volleyball, something as benign as a careless step sideways can end my career entirely." The atmosphere on the table suddenly solemn and I really didn't want it to be that way. These kids were here because of their talent and because they want one day to be able to go professional. I shouldn't crush their dreams. "Besides, I kind of got sick of being called a freak or a monster even if it was meant as a compliment," I said with a grin and looked up at the two boys. The brown-haired one smiled right back at me and returned to his food.