Shiratorizawa - Favouritism

No spoilers. Just some family inequality and a lot of frustration.

The yawn that escaped my mouth was inevitable as I walked down the hallway in the boys' dormitory. I had a binder in my hands while I scribbled sloppily everything I didn't have the time for the previous night. I managed to stifle another yawn before stopping in front of a room as if on instinct. Without looking to check if I was in front of the right room, I slammed my fist against the door loudly. After three years, there's no way I could make a mistake.

"Tendou Satori, get your ass up this instant!" I yelled while continuously banging my fist on the door. I was still reading through the charts so I didn't even hear the footsteps inside. The door flung open and a very tall and very scary male showed up from within. The curtains were drawn and he was partially emerging from the shadows, making him appear even scarier.

"You're late. Again. Wakatoshi is already done with his jog," I said and then proceeded to push his door open further. "Get ready. Now!" Tendou whined and slumped while walking back inside his room. I crossed my arms and watched him sternly as he gathered his clothes around the room and went inside the bathroom to change. I was tapping my foot on the ground by the time he walked out and he immediately hurried to grab his bag.

"Don't make that face (F/N)-chan! You'll get wrinkles!" He sang while following me down the hallway. "I already have wrinkles because of you, Tendou."

That was my usual morning routine. Some people ate, some people went jogging, some people did yoga. But not me. I had to wake up Tendou Satori every morning because Ushijima Wakatoshi always wakes up earlier to jog and leaves the troublesome guy alone to sleep in. Every morning.

However, my day wouldn't be complete without a few other bits of conversations.

(1)

My eyes closed as I tried to collect my thoughts with all the yelling in the gym. Even that didn't help, however. That's why I had to apply the second stage of anger management failure by (L/N) (F/N). "Shirabu, stop picking on Goshiki right now and get back to practice!" I screamed, making the two boys immediately freeze and look at me. "Goshiki, stop getting riled up at everything he says! I'll put you both in time out if you don't shut up this instant!" I continued yelling when they both opened their mouth to protest. Upon hearing my threat, they both shut up and walked in opposite directions. I sighed and rubbed my temples.

(2)

"I'm so excited about the clubs fair tomorrow!" Tendou said on the break. The moment he said that I saw the copper-haired second-year shrink further into the background. My eyes narrowed and I called out to him. "Kawanishi, you better show up first to our stand tomorrow. If I don't see you, I'll drag you there myself." His eyes widened and he nodded his head frantically as I continued glaring at him. That boy needs to make some friends real quick.

(3)

"Go Semisemi!" Tendou yelled when it was Semi's turn to practice his serve. "Tendou, stop yelling! Shirabu, calm down! Stop encouraging him, Semi Eita!" I hit the back of Tendou's head with a binder while glaring at Semi who was picking on the easily excitable red-haired telephone pole. The third-year just turned his head away from me with a small pout for being yelled at while Tendou whined, holding his head. "Get back to practice," I hissed at him and pushed him away from Semi.

(4)

"Goshiki, that's it. Get some rest. No, you can't do one more. You need to stop overworking yourself," I said, already knowing what he would ask the moment I told him to stop practising. He slumped his shoulders, muttering "Yes, ma'am," and walked away.

(5)

I sighed and flinched when I heard yelling the moment I turned my back to them. These guys are impossible. "Reon, first-years," I muttered to the fellow third-year. He nodded, knowing what I needed from him, and walked towards the group that was fighting. He quickly pulled them away from each other and calmed them down.

(6)

"Kawanishi, don't forget the study session before practice today. I'll drop by to check if you're there," I said and walked away from him.

I made my way over to the coaches and handed them the players' stats files. Coach Washijo thanked me while coach Saito smiled at me. "Thank you so much, (L/N)-san. I know you have a lot of work to do. We appreciate the effort and the boys really love you. Thank you for helping take care of them," he said while putting a hand on my shoulder. I nodded my head and yawned, covering my lips with my palm. I was absolutely dead after the second practice of the day.

The coaches left the gym and I stayed behind to help the boys clean everything up. I opened the box with after-practice snacks I made for them and put it on the bench, calling everyone over so they could eat. A few of them quickly grabbed the snack and left with their business, a few of them thanked me and said they will get them once they are done, and some just thanked me loudly. (Some = Tendou)

I stood by the bench for some time, just waiting for the snacks to be taken so I could pack the box up. Ushijima made his way over to me and picked up one small sandwich, putting it in his mouth in one go and chewing silently. I watched as he smiled slightly and then nodded his head at me. "Thank you very much, (L/N)-san. Your cooking is really good. It's surprising you don't have a boyfriend."

When he asked that, however, my patience slipped and I felt the thin branch of calm inside me snap entirely. "It's surprising I don't have a boyfriend? It's surprising I don't have A BOYFRIEND, YOU SAY? That's because I'm like a single mother of twenty loud and messy children! WHO WOULD WANT TO DATE ME WITH THAT KIND OF BAGGAGE THAT I HAVE TO CARRY! WOULD YOU WANT TO DATE A SINGLE MOTHER OF TWENTY?!" I screamed in pure agony. Everyone was staring at me with wide eyes, especially Ushijima who remained silent. "OF COURSE NOT! NO ONE SANE IN THIS WORLD WOULD!" I continued yelling.

"I HATE ALL OF YOU!" I finished yelling, my chest rising and falling heavily. As I turned on my heel to leave, I came face to chest with Goshiki. My gaze softened when I noticed his frightened look and I reached my hand up to cup his cheek. "Not you, Goshiki," I said and then let go of him, walking out of the gym while throwing one last glare at the rest of the team. "Bring the boxes to my dorm afterwards," I grumbled, pointing at the dishes before strapping out.

BONUS ENDING:

Wakatoshi kept staring at the gym entrance where their manager just walked out of with his eyes wide. He has never heard her so agitated. Sure, she did get angry at them a lot, she yelled at them when they caused trouble but she never told them she hated them. He didn't even believe she meant it right now but it was surprising nonetheless.

"What the hell did you do to her, Wakatoshi-kun?" Tendou came slandering towards him. The ace only shrugged his shoulders, completely lost on why their manager reacted the way she did. "Nothing. I just wanted to compliment her cooking," he said and looked at the red-haired demon. "He said it's surprising she doesn't have a boyfriend," Goshiki said, his cheeks still red from the encounter with his senpai while stuffing his mouth with the delicious food.

Tendou burst out laughing at that, making Wakatoshi look at him blankly. "So her date didn't go well?" He said and continued laughing, leaning over to grab some sandwiches that his first-year was hogging.

"I can't believe she yelled at us like that and then went and babied this idiot," Shirabu said while snatching the box with sandwiches from Goshiki. The younger man frowned and tried to get the box back but the setter only glared at him, getting the food for himself. "She didn't baby me," he grumbled with his cheeks getting red again. "She totally did. She could have just said 'Not you, baby' and it wouldn't make any difference," the second-year scoffed.

"Don't be jealous, Shirabu. I'm sure she would have also done the same thing for you if you stopped picking a fight with baby Goshiki all the time," Tendou teased making both his underclassmen glare at him. "I'm not jealous! Why would I be jealous of this ass kisser?" Shirabu quickly yelled and let go of the box that Goshiki was tugging on before storming away. "We need to tell mom that she can't show who's the favourite so openly. She's making the rest of the kids jealous," Tendou said while laughing and proceeding to help with cleaning up the gym. Wakatoshi shook his head but even he couldn't deny that what Tendou just said did seem the most appropriate way to classify (F/N)'s relationship with the team.