Iwaizumi Hajime (1) Romantic

Spoilers? I mean, you can read it even if you haven't read the manga because even after you read this you will have no idea what tf is going to happen so I guess it's okay.

The darkness around me was rather suffocating. I was never afraid of the dark, I was never particularly afraid of what's hiding in the dark, either. However, one thing I was afraid of was the unpredictability that are humans. You can never really know what they mean, what they think, what their next move is. I might have made a mistake by wearing slides to work today, I may have made a mistake for wearing a tank top to work today, the Californian heat was explanation enough for both of these choices. However, one thing that I most likely never will forget and will forever thank the fates for would be forgetting my umbrella at work the day before.

I walked down the deserted streets just outside the campus, backpack with my work uniform strapped on my back and an umbrella tightly held in my hand. I noticed him from a few meters away. I noticed he was standing there, leaning on the wall, looking at his phone. I noticed that he wasn't exactly doing anything else nor was the phone turned on. I also noticed that there was a dark and very narrow alley right next to where he was standing. Yet, I chose to believe in humanity. I chose to believe that I would be fine. He wouldn't do anything. I'm not interesting to him. I'm just another average girl wearing a pair of worn-out tights and a tank top cloaked by the darkness of the night.

I was wrong.

I was wrong for most of those things.

The moment I was in front of him, the man reached out and grabbed my elbow. He tugged and I panicked. "Come with me," he growled and went to tug me into the alley. In my state of panic, I swung the umbrella and hit him in the crotch with it. As he groaned in pain and fell to his knees, I turned around and kicked him on the side of his head. He fell to the ground with a groan and I ran away. I wish I wore running shoes. I wish I wore anything but the slides, yet, my wishes did not change the fact that I had to run. The umbrella in my hands was bent from the impact with the man's crotch and my foot hurt but I continued running. I turned my head around to see if he was following me and I collided with something. The grunt that was far too deep to be mine told me it was a person.

My eyes widened and I quickly lifted my umbrella to swing again but stopped once I noticed that the person that was holding my shoulders was a guy my age and was actually looking at me with concern. "I'm so sorry. Are you alright?" He asked and looked me over as if to check if I was hurt. I took a step away from him and his eyes flickered over my shoulder for a moment. "Are you alright?" He repeated, this time slower and looked at me with a heavy look of reassurance in his eyes.

"Yes, yes, I am. Just, please, I need to go," I muttered and tried to get away but the guy took a hold of my shoulders again. "No. I saw what happened, I was coming to help you. The guy is still following you so I can't let you go on your own. Let me walk you home," he said, his gaze once again flashing over my shoulder. I shivered at the thought of the man still following me and went to turn around to check but he only tightened his grip on my shoulders. "My name is Hajime Iwaizumi. I'm a student here. What's your name?" He asked me.

"(F/N) (L/N)," I mumbled, staring into his eyes directly. For some reason, despite the danger I might have been in, the look in his eyes calmed me down. He nodded his head firmly and offered me a small smile. "Where do you live, (F/N)?" He asked again. His voice was very even and had a reassuring note to it. It was as if he was guiding me through this fear and into a safer place. "I'm a student, too. I live on the campus," I said and gulped heavily. His eyes lit up and the grip he had on my shoulders tightened. "That's great. Are you feeling better now? Can we go?"

His questions took me by surprise. Was he asking those questions and holding me just so I have enough time to calm down? If he was, that was awfully considerate of him. He seemed so reliable. "Yeah. Thank you," I said and blinked a couple of times, noticing that my heart was beating slower. "Come on. The guy is still looking at us," he said and gently tugged me in the other direction. I followed his directions and we emerged onto the main street. The light was much brighter there and I felt much safer.

"That's a mean kick you got there," he said after a few moments of silence. I looked up at him only to see him give me a small and amused smile. I chuckled lightly and nodded my head. "Thanks. Working as a waitress teaches you a lot of stuff." He chuckled at my explanation and then remained silent. "So, what do you study?" He asked again. I don't know if he was genuinely interested or he was trying to keep a conversation that would distract me. "Biochemistry." Hajime nodded his head at me and licked his lips. I was watching him carefully out of the corner of my eye. "Nice. Sounds interesting. I'm a Sports Science major," he said and then looked down at me with a smile.

"Really? My roommate is a Sports Science major, too!" I said and grinned right back at him. His eyebrows shot up in surprise at my sudden excitement. "Alice Loveheart. Do you know her?" I asked and waited as he thought for a moment. His eyebrows knit together briefly and then a look of realization overcame his face. "Oh, yeah! We have Ethics in Sports together. She's very loud," he said and chuckled as I hummed in agreement. She really was. "That's great! We can exchange letters through her!" I offered and took a hold of the backpack straps on my shoulders, pulling on them because I didn't know what else to do with my hands. Hajime frowned in confusion again and looked down at me as if to check if I was serious.

"We can exchange phone numbers, too," he said slowly. My idea must have sounded too weird to him. After all, why would a student in California in the 21st century exchange letters with someone? "No, no. I mean, I want to stay in contact with you but I just think this would be more interesting. It's more romantic this way," I grinned and looked up at him only to see his surprised look once again. "Romantic?" His voice trembled for a moment and I couldn't help but chuckle. "Yeah. I've recently got into Romanticism. I had to read Edgar Allan Poe for a class and I loved his style so I've been reading stuff from Goethe and Lord Byron, too," I rambled about my most recent obsession. My arms stretched over my head and I sighed in content as a satisfying pop was heard from my spine.

Hajime nodded his head, his lips forming a small 'o' as he came to a realization on what I was talking about. "Sounds cool. Alright then, we'll exchange letters. Do you think she wouldn't mind being our mail man?" His question made me think for some time. Alice was a very nice and friendly person. She likes to talk a lot and has a lot of friends. People just like her.

"Nah. She won't mind passing the letters. She will mind that I won't let her read them, though," I said and chuckled, already imagining her constant whining when I tell her that she cannot read what I wrote.

The rest of the walk back to the dormitories was filled with random chatter about our interests and whatnot. He was a very fun guy. He told me he is Japanese and that he plays volleyball. He also told me he has a friend in Argentina who used to play on the same team with him. That was really impressive, to be honest. I wish I had cool friends like that.

Once in front of my dorm building, we stopped and I smiled. "Thank you very much for tonight. It was nice meeting you, Hajime," I said and reached my hand out. He took it and shook it firmly. "No problem. It was nice meeting you, too, (F/N)," he said and then took a step away from me. "I'm looking forward to your letters," he finished with a wink and walked away. I chuckled and walked back inside the dorm.

The moment I stepped into my room, I was bombarded by questions from Alice. "Why are you so late? Are you alright? Who's that guy you came here with?" She asked while sitting on her bed, a book on her lap. "I had work. He's a guy that I met on the streets. He has a class with you. Hajime Iwaizumi," I replied and dropped my bag by my bed. She immediately perked up at that. "The hot Asian guy?" I chuckled at her and plopped on my desk chair. I took a paper from my notebook and a pen that was thrown on the desk during my last study session. "Yeah, the hot Asian guy," I concluded with a shake of my head and let my hand move over the paper.

"Dear Mr Hajime Iwaizumi..."