Kageyama Tobio - Red

No spoilers or whatever.

Maaaann, this one was hard to write! I just can't grasp Kageyama at all! Sorry if he's OOC.

Life has extremely odd ways of intertwining the fates of people. The red strings hanging around our necks are so laced and braided together that it could take ages before the two sides that are connected by the same string get to meet without a single barrier or a knot to tug them away from each other again. Sometimes, just sometimes, all the knots come undone within the same lifeline and the two sides, the ones that are meant to be together, get to have that fated meeting face-to-face.

Kageyama Tobio frowned as he watched the court with the intense focus. He had to watch the teams carefully. He had to know each and every flaw they might have. Otherwise, he would not be ready. He would not be able to lead his team to victory. After the third-years left, the team has been stumbling around. The idea that they are standing on the court in the Sendai Gymnasium without Sugawara, Sawamura or Azumane terrified them at the beginning. Not to mention the fact that Date Tech has been improving at a rapid rate. A single mistake would mean no Nationals.

"I still don't understand how you can wear long sleeves but cannot stand even a bit of tape on your fingers," a feminine voice said somewhere to his left and he flinched, thinking for a moment that they were talking about him. However, he never wore long sleeves, so it couldn't be him. He turned to look only to see a group of girls, relaxing after a game. He recognized their jerseys immediately. Niiyama Girls' High. One of them had a very tired look on her face while the rest chuckled. Well, bar the one she was most likely talking to. The only one among the group with long sleeves was a girl that had her arms crossed over her chest and hair pulled back out of her face neatly. She arched her eyebrow and lifted her hands up while wiggling her fingers.

"I have no clue why would that be weird," she mumbled and continued inspecting her fingers. "Well, the sleeves can bunch up and the creases send the ball flying off. Tape doesn't do much," the other one explained. Kageyama frowned, too, disagreeing with the girl on the matter of tape. "My sleeves are tight enough not to bother me. Besides, you know I would rather break my back then set the ball underhand. My fingers are the reason I can set so well so having tape on them literally makes me feel like they are not my fingers anymore," the other one spoke, eyes still focused on the palms of her hands. A small smile made its way onto her face and Kageyama found himself taking in a sharp and short breath. "The feeling of the volleyball against my fingers, the leather, the weight, it's the best feeling ever. I want to feel it fully," she said and looked up. As if feeling Kageyama's gaze on her, she looked at him and smiled brighter. She waved her hand gently before returning to the conversation.

Kageyama looked away and frowned, feeling his face grow hot. Why the hell was he blushing? He shouldn't be even thinking about this right now. Dateko was playing.

"Wait, isn't that the second-year from Karasuno? Their setter, the genius? Kageyama was it?" One of the girls whispered but Kageyama caught it. Was he still listening to their conversation and therefore able to hear it? Maybe.

"Oh yeah! Although, I think our (L/N) is on par with him. He's intense even off the court!" Another one piped in. "What do you mean? He's really cute," their setter, the one that smiled at him, said with a small and confused voice. She sounded genuinely confused. It made his chest compress. "Cute? I wouldn't exactly describe him like that. I mean, he's good-looking but cute? Not so sure." Kageyama lifted his shoulders so his chin fell into the collar of his jacket, slightly embarrassed by the way the girls spoke. "You're clearly blind. Now hush it. He's going to hear it and you're going to regret it then," the setter said and grabbed the volleyball by her feet, putting it on the bag behind her and used it as a pillow. Kageyama stole one last glance at her before returning his focus on the game.