Sakusa Kiyoomi - Adorable

No spoilers. Just fluff. And Sakusa being a germophobe.

The sound of me ripping the pack of disinfectant wipes was drowned out completely by the crowd around me. The time out was just called by the opposing team and everyone was gathering at their benches. I quickly pulled out one wipe and picked up a yellow bottle, the one that was always placed on the bench next to me, and cleaned it off with the wipe. Once I was done with that, I pulled a hankie out of my jacket pocket and cleaned the cap one more time. My little ritual proved to be finished just in time for all the players to gather around me, including the owner of the bottle I held in my hands.

"Sakusa-kun," I called out to him and handed the bottle. He nodded his head, lifted the bottle to his lips and took a big gulp. As he was drinking water, I folded the hankie and put it back into my pocket, before leaning down and pulling a towel out the bag that was on the bench. The taller guy took the towel from me and cleaned off the sweat. The coach kept talking about the strategy they were going to implement as Sakusa silently thanked me. I've done this so many times now that I knew just by the look in his eyes when he was expressing his gratitude.

As the timeout ended, the raven-haired volleyball player handed the bottle and the towel back to me and I neatly placed them in their respective places. "Why do you keep doing that for him?" The fellow manager that helped me and the team around asked. I shrugged and sat down on the bench, giving her a small smile. "I'm just helping out any way I can," I tried brushing it off as nothing but she wasn't having it. Her eyebrows were knit together and she looked at Sakusa on the field, then back at me. "But don't you think he'll just get used to it and then when you leave the high school he'll be lost?"

Her questioning irked me. As if I haven't wondered if what I'm doing was good for him. I was silent for a moment, trying to come up with an answer that would be valid and simple to understand, before opening my mouth to speak. "Sakusa-kun is special. He's an amazing player, but, just like all of us, he has his quirks. I don't want those quirks to slow him down. He's been able to handle life before me and he will be able to handle life after me, but while I'm here, I want him to be able to enjoy volleyball without having to worry about anything other than the court," I explained. She gave me a surprised look as if she didn't believe I have put much thought into what I'm doing. Did she honestly think I was just doing because I like him or something? I could see in her eyes that she had many things to ask but couldn't find a proper way of expressing it. I left her to it, believing it was better to answer questions she asks and not assume what she was curious about.

"But don't you get attached to him? Do you think he's attached to you?" This a time I actually chuckled. It was sort of naive the way she asked. The way she looked and how she took my words. So naive. Childish. "The first time I did it was when I first joined the club as a manager. I knew Sakusa and what he was like from middle school. His cousin was in my class and we spoke about volleyball a lot. When I started doing this whole ritual, it was an act of affection. I was showing him that I cared. Because I did. I know what's it like when people don't understand things that you have to do just because they don't do it," I paused to cheer for the point that the team won before turning back to my assistant manager. "When you begin the interaction already laced with affection, it's absolutely impossible not to get attached if the interaction continues. I got attached to him, he's so important to me. At first, it was like everything I did for him was just a surprise over and over again, but as time passed, he started coming to me during school hours, too. I was like his cleaning products resource in school. He spent his lunch with me because I would always eat in the classroom on the table that I thoroughly cleaned before taking out my bento. I even made him food a couple of times because he liked mine when he brought too little and had to take my leftovers," my voice faltered as I got distracted by Sakusa's serve. I had to pay attention to it and once it turned out to be a service ace, I smiled.

"Sorry, I had to see that. Anyway, this is why I think he, too, has got attached to me. However, I don't believe that should be the reason I stop cleaning his bottles and giving him clean towels while he's in-game. That's like asking me to stop being nice to people because we're leaving high school in a bit over a year and I might get attached to them," I finished off with a chuckle and then stood up as the final service ace determined our victory in straight sets.

Once again, I repeated the whole cleaning and folding ritual, handing his stuff to Sakusa and then watched as he gulped down the water quickly. I put the towel over his shoulder as he continued drinking and then picked up his jacket that I have folded neatly on the bench. He finished the rest of his water and handed me the bottle back so I just tossed it in the bag, waiting for him to be done with his towel and put on the jacket. Once he had the jacket and the mask on, he turned to walk back towards the exit. I watched him carefully as we neared the exit where a large group of people was, some waiting for the next game, some leaving after the previous one. He quickly put his hands in his pockets and I smiled. So cute.

Tossing the disinfectant wipe that I used to clean my hands into a bin, I carefully placed my hand on his inner wrist. The tips of my fingers touched his palm and I felt him relax slightly. The touch was enough to let him know I was there and I would make sure people were not ganging around him. For some reason, his inner wrist and palm were a soft spot that calmed him down every time I touched it. I led him out of the crowd and somewhere he could change, left him packs of wipes, a wet towel, a dry one and then turned around to leave.

I leaned against a vending machine, looking at the people around me. There were not many and most of them were very quiet volleyball players enjoying the lack of chaos in this part of the building. I caught sight of one particular couple that really pushed my buttons. The girl kept giggling, and I understand that the guy might have even been funny, but she wasn't and her annoying laughter was bringing tears to my eyes. They walked around for a bit and then stopped by a girl that stood alone on her phone. They asked her something and handed her a phone, before taking a few steps away and posing. The guy had his hands on her waist as she stood in front of him and covered his hands with hers. I scowled as they continued posing as any basic couple would.

"I'm done," Sakusa said from behind me making me jump. I put my hand on his again and we continued walking back to the rest of his team. "What's wrong?" He asked, his deep voice reverberating in my body. For the pretty face he was given, his voice was surprisingly deep and husky. I shrugged and shot one last glare at the couple as we passed them. "I just hate these kinds of couples. So fake," I muttered and Sakusa hummed in acknowledgement. "What kinds of couples do you like?" He asked after a few moments, voice muffled by his mask but clear enough for me.

"Well, the not fake ones. I don't like for the person I'm with to be telling me or other people they like me. I want them to show me. You know, like what I'm doing for you at the games. It's a gesture that I dedicate to you to make you feel better. If I was with someone, I wouldn't want them to take pictures with me and then delete them the moment we get angry with each other. I would want them to buy my favourite eraser when I lose mine or hold my hand when we're in a crowd," I mumbled and frowned while looking in front of myself. Sakusa paused for a moment, faltering in his steps. "You don't like crowds either?"

I smiled up at him and shrugged, not being able to help myself when I heard how cute he sounded saying that. "I hate it. I hate people touching me and just the idea that someone might sneeze or cough on me makes me want to hide in my room forever." Sakusa was silent. He stared at my face, obsidian eyes flickering over my features carefully. And then, just as I was about to look away, he slid his hand out of his pocket and took my hand firmly in his. His fingers slithered between mine and he squeezed, letting our hands fall between us. My eyes widened and I felt my heartbeat quicker as I found myself confused and lost.

"Sakusa, what are you doing?" I whispered, my eyes meeting his quizzical ones. "I'm holding your hand. It's a gesture like you said. I'm showing you that I like you," he mumbled and I swear I was able to see the skin on his cheeks just above his mask redden. He said it like it was pretty obvious and he couldn't understand what I had trouble getting. My muscles twitched, time stopped as he blinked his gorgeous doe eyes, my breath hitched, and I smiled widely. I couldn't help chuckling at him and giving his hand a light squeeze.

"You are adorable, Sakusa-kun."