Bokuto Koutarou - Wrong Idea

Spoilers for nearly every character that appears in this One-shot, including Bokuto, Akaashi, Atsumu, the little giant.

When I first started working as an assistant coach at MSBY Black Jackal, I hated it.

I was just a washed-up failed athlete. My career of a superstar Nippon middle blocker has ended with as much of a millisecond of inadvertence. In just that millisecond while I was landing on my elbow, I was demoted from the prodigy, princess of volleyball, Nippon unbreakable wall, to the drunken college drop-out with a cast on her arm.

As unlucky as I was during that game, I was also blessed with an amazing coach and an even better manager. They both saw a much different potential in me than just a player and have directed me towards the right path once more.

The path of a coach.

Back then, I was just going to the practices to get rid of the nagging from my manager. I didn't do much, just watch the practice, occasionally do what coach Foster told me. However, after some time, the team warmed up to me. They were an interesting bunch that really loved volleyball. Just as much as I did. That common love pulled me from my pit. It also made me feel indebted to the team. I felt like I needed to pay them back for helping me out of my misery. However, I had no clue that in just a few months after I decided to repay everything the guys did for me, my perfect chance would appear before me.

"Hi, I'm Bokuto Koutarou!" The man with bicoloured hair greeted me during our first official meeting. It was when he was signing his contract for MSBY. "I know, Bokuto-san. I scouted you," I said with a warm smile and bowed down politely in front of him. "I'm (L/N) (F/N), Assistant Coach."

"I know! I've seen you on the games," he quickly said, his mood nothing short of an excited puppy. "Lovely. I'm really happy to see you decided to join us."

Those were the first words we exchanged. Back then, Bokuto was still very much a slave of his dramatic mood change. Managers and Coach Foster were a bit reluctant about even offering him to play for MSBY at first, but I managed to persuade them in the end. His mood changes were nothing compared to the passion and determination he had. Therefore, I was willing to risk it with him.

"I... I can't do this," Bokuto said during his first game for MSBY Black Jackal after his fourth missed spike. I sighed, turned around on the bench and pulled out a number 12 plate. [AAAAAAAAAHHHHH I AM SO SO SORRY! I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE I USED TSUMU'S NUMBER FOR BOKUTO. I FIXED IT!!] I waved over the wing spiker that we usually played with and handed him the plate before telling coach Foster to announce the player change.

The moment it was announced, Bokuto completely went dark. I told him to sit on the bench for some time before returning to the rest of the players. He slumped down, not even looking at the field. He took the towel I handed him and draped it over his head, shielding his face and view from the rest of the gym.

"Bokuto-san," I called and sat next to him, watching his shoulders carefully for his reaction. He tensed upon hearing my voice but remained slumped down. "Would you look at me?" I asked rather impatiently, looking at him with a slight frown. He slowly removed the towel, looking at me almost shyly. "What's wrong? Is there something wrong with the ball?" I asked, eyebrow arched questioningly. "No, no," he mumbled, looking down again. "With the floor? Is the crowd too loud? Is the net higher than usual? Is the setter messing up? Are you sick?" I kept firing question after question at him, each time getting the same reply. "No."

"Did you start to play volleyball yesterday?"

"No."

"Then what is wrong? What is stopping you from spiking that ball just like you did it yesterday?" I asked, hoping that I'm leading him to the right conclusion with my questions. "I forgot how to," he mumbled yet again, gaze falling onto his feet.