10 Simple Tips for Writing Clever Plot Twists

— Claire Bradshaw

Writing plot twists is much harder than it looks.

As readers, we're used to devouring mind-blowing twists and turns, marvelling at the cleverness of the writers who devised them.

But as writers behind the scenes, it's difficult to dream up new and innovative ways of subverting readers' expectations.

If you want to write stories that surprise and intrigue your audience, we've got 10 simple tips to help you master the art of the plot twist.

1. APPROACH YOUR STORY AS A READER

This may seem obvious, but it's one of the most important steps you can take towards writing effective plot twists.

When you're plotting and planning your novel, constantly put yourself in the reader's shoes.
Imagine how you might react to this particular story.

In which direction would you automatically expect the story to go?

What potential twists and turns immediately come to mind?

Note all these down, and then discard every one of them as a potential plot twist.

If you think there's even the slightest chance that a reader can foresee a plot twist, they probably can.

Most readers' minds work in similar ways – especially genre readers, who are used to the conventions and standards of their genre.
Any narrative turns you immediately think of will most likely be thought of by your readers, too.

To combat predictability in your plot, try thinking about the complete opposite of every twist or turn you've noted down above.

If your narrative naturally begins to lean towards a certain outcome or event, try steering it in the complete opposite direction and see what happens.

When you eventually think of something that takes even you by surprise, you'll know you're on the right track for a successful plot twist.

2. USE SUBTLE MISDIRECTION.

You may have heard that misdirection is the magician's greatest tool, but it's also extremely handy for writers.

Guiding readers' attention gently away from a potential plot direction will make it all the more surprising when you reveal the twist.
Your aim should be to make them think they know what's going on, then subvert that notion entirely.

There are many tools you can use to achieve misdirection, including...

Red herrings – planting false clues or pieces of information designed to steer readers in the wrong direction.

Dead ends – firmly dispelling outcomes your readers (and characters) thought they saw coming.

Misguided attention – carefully burying real hints or clues in scenes where the reader won't be paying close attention to them; for example, in a fight scene, where the reader is too caught up in the fast-paced action to think too hard about a cleverly dropped hint.

Note: You'll notice that we used the word 'subtle' above – remember that.
If you try too hard to steer readers in the wrong direction, they'll notice.

And if they pick up on what you're doing, they'll either recognise the misdirection for what it is, or assume you're trying to 'hold their hand' and guide them far too obviously towards a certain outcome.

You don't want any of that to happen.

Your readers want to feel respected by you as the writer, not babied or cheated.