Chapter 3

"I don't particularly care for Tuesdays," I said absentmindedly, as I bit my apple. 

I was sitting in the school cafeteria across from my two best friends May and Chloe. They had been friends with me ever since the very first day of pre-school when we bonded over a game of tag. 

"Surely Mondays are the worst day because they're the furthest day from the weekend," Chloe said in confusion, as she played with a few strands of her platinum blonde hair.

With her bright blue eyes and rosy pink cheeks, Chloe was a natural beauty and always seemed to have one boy or another chasing after her.

 I contrasted dramatically with her with my thick mass of dark chestnut coloured hair and tanned skin, bestowed on me from my mother who was of Latino heritage. Compared to her, I also had quite a lazy look about me, with hair that was always messily thrown up in a high ponytail and an unnatural obsession with yoga pants.

I let out a heavy sigh as I focused back in on the conversation.

 "It's because my timetable on Tuesday always seems to suck for some reason. I always seem to have all the shitty subjects like English and history," I grumbled. 

"Yeah well, they are only shitty if you bother to listen. I just make sure to bring in a crossword or something to keep me occupied," May piped in.

 Chloe and I just shook our heads in disappointment at our delinquent friend, watching with furrowed eyebrows as she tried to make some kind of pyramid with some spoons. 

"Unlike you May, I am trying to ace all my classes. The last thing I need is for that little brat Ethan to show me up in class." I spat out with anger as I aggressively started to squeeze on my apple.

 I watched as fluid trickled out of the apple and down my hand and I smiled in satisfaction, imagining it was Ethan's head. 

"Woah Mia, What did the apple ever do to you?" Chloe said in horror, as she watched me punish my apple.

 I didn't grace her with a response, not particularly wanting to go into why I was in such a bad mood.

I was feeling particularly spiteful towards Ethan after his annoying little escapade yesterday. Not only had he tried to get me fired, but he also embarrassed me in front of everyone in the ice-cream shop. 

That incident was just one of many that I had to put up with, the prick has found numerous ways to try and humiliate me over the years. A favorite way of his to anger me was to show off in every single class. I literally couldn't think of a single class he wasn't doing well in. I wouldn't hate him for it if he actually studied and worked hard to achieve the grades, but he didn't. Everything came easy to him. The little prick probably had a photographic memory or something.

Finished with my apple, I pulled out my chocolate chip muffin. I needed its comfort after such a miserable start to the week. 

Just as I was about to bite into the chocolatey goodness I stopped, feeling a tap on my shoulder.

 I observed the surprised looks of my friends as they looked at whoever was standing behind me. I swiveled around in my seat, curious to see who it was. 

I let out a heavy sigh as I took in the arrogant smirk of the boy who stood before me, Ethan Blythe had come for round two of tormenting me. 

"What do you want now?" I grumbled as I looked up at him with narrowed eyes.

 He just let out a low chuckle before lunged over my shoulder and wrapping his grubby little hands around my muffin.

 "Hey!" I yelled angrily.