Chapter 20

Our lips were mere centimeters apart when the door of his room suddenly burst open. 

 "Jesus Christ!" a woman's voice cried in shock.

 I jumped in surprise and quickly pushed Ethan off me abruptly, causing him to land on the bed beside me with a loud thud. I looked at the door in panic to see who had just come in. 

 I gulped as I took in the sight of Ethan's mum, who was looking at us with raised eyebrows.

 "I see you guys are very busy studying." she snapped sarcastically. 

 Ethan coughed awkwardly and sat up. "Yeah, we were just taking a break, I was-" he paused, looking around his room for inspiration. "I was showing Mia some judo moves," Ethan said with a nervous laugh.

 I vigorously nodded my head in agreement, deciding to just roll with it. I figured it seemed a legitimate enough excuse for the position we were in.

 "Wow," his mother said as she let out an incredulous breath of laughter. "Judo certainly looks a lot more intimate than I remember. Do you put your face that close to all your male opponents to Ethan, or is Mia just a special case?" she teased, staring at him with an interrogative raised eyebrow and her hands on her hips. 

My cheeks immediately started heating up like crazy because it was blatantly obvious that we were lying. She wasn't buying any of this judo bull crap. 

"Well..."Ethan drawled as he scratched the back of his neck. "I might not have been practicing it in the exact same way I normally do," Ethan mumbled as he bowed his head down a little. 

After a few seconds of everyone just staring at each other in awkward silence, his mother finally cleared her throat.

"Well anyway, the reason I came up here was to ask if Mia wanted to stay for dinner," she said as she looked over at me with a warm smile. 

"Are you sure? I wouldn't want to intrude on your family dinner." I explained hesitantly. 

"No, don't be silly. I'd love for you to stay. I have so many questions to ask you," she said as she shot Ethan an evil look from the corner of her eyes. 

"NO!" Ethan exclaimed, with fearful eyes. "No questions, Mum. You'll ask her nothing." he snapped warningly.

 I shot him a funny look from the corner of my eye, wondering why he was getting so worked up. 

She just let out a laugh as she turned on her heel to leave. "I'll call you downstairs in an hour or so, okay guys," she said with a smile. "Oh," she said, turning back around once more. "Leave the door open, I don't want you guys practicing judo behind closed doors," she said with a smirk, as she propped the door open behind her.

As soon as she was gone, I didn't waste any time before smashing my head into Ethan's pillow and proceeding to scream into it. His pillowcase smelled deliciously like him, further driving home what I had almost let happen. 

I can't believe I was going to kiss him. I clearly needed psychiatric help. 

This was Ethan we were talking about. The same moron who once stole my gym clothes as a joke, the same guy who told our whole 8th grade class I was a lesbian. And the same dickhead, who on the very first day I met him, kicked a ball at my motherfucking face. He's been acting like my annoying little brother for the past six years, so why on earth would I just try and swap spit with him?

 This was so weird! 

"Well, that was an awkward time for her to walk in," Ethan chuckled from behind me, breaking the uncomfortable silence.