Chapter 5

I am so dead. 

He is going to call the police and I'm going to go to prison. I can see his obnoxious face so clearly in my mind laughing at me as I stand behind bars. 

I snapped my head back round to face him so fast, I almost strained my neck. I carefully observed his face and furrowed my eyebrows as I saw his eyes were still firmly pressed closed and his back was still moving up and down in a slow and steady rhythm. 

I was so confused; I swear I heard him call my name. 

About to turn around again, I saw his lips move and he call out "Mia" again but this time slightly louder and clearer.

Oh my god. Is Ethan Blythe sleep talking? 

This was too good. 

 A slow smile stretched itself on to my face. This was too good to be true. The almighty Ethan who always looked so cool and calm is finally embarrassing himself and I was going to revel in every second of it. 

Wanting to remember this day forever and also for potential blackmail, I whipped out my phone, rushing to get onto the video camera not wanting to miss anything. I held the phone up to his face making sure to zoom in extra close. 

"Mia," he said again for the third time, causing me to break out into a grin. "Please," he said letting out a carnal groan as he started to shift around in his sleep a little bit. What the hell was he dreaming about?

Just as I was about to end the video and make my escape, I heard a noise coming from down the corridor, followed by the sound of light and rapidly approaching footsteps.

 Shit.

The surprise caused me to clumsily drop my phone. I started to search for it desperately, but the darkness of the room made it almost impossible. 

The footsteps started getting louder and in a mad panic, I leaped towards the window with the hoodie still in my grasp as I all but hurled myself onto the tree branch.

 As I quickly started to descend the tree, I saw the light turn on in the bedroom and a little boy came in to view. He was peeping from behind the door shyly as he looked over at the bed where a groggy Ethan was waking up. 

"Ethan, I had a nightmare, can I sleep with you tonight?" the little boy asked cutely. 

Not wanting him to see me, I climbed crazily fast down the tree and ran like a crazy woman to Chloe's parked car on the curb.

"Did you get it?" said May in excitement as she turned around to face me from my current position in the back seat. 

Breathing heavily, I held up his forest green hoody that I had successfully stolen. 

"I can't believe you actually did it. You're crazy," Chloe said shaking her head at me in amusement. 

"Well I did and I'm surprisingly not in the backseat of a police car," I said squealing in excitement, pumped up with adrenaline.

 "Also, I got this hilarious video of Ethan sleep-talking. You need to see it." I said chuckling to myself as I dug my hand into my pocket to find my phone.

Then my grin slowly dropped from my face as I realized that my phone was not in my pocket at all, but still lying abandoned on the floor of Ethan's room. 

"Oh no. This is bad. This is very very bad" I said as my face turned ghostly white. "Erm guys.... I kind of need to tell you guys something. I may or may not have left my phone in Ethan's room..." I mumbled quietly.

Chloe and May slowly turned around to face me upon hearing my confession. 

"Well you're definitely screwed, aren't you?" May said with a snort, not beating around the bush.

 "And I guess there's nothing we can do about it now; his bedroom lights on..." Chloe said gesturing up at the window. She started to pull the car out of the parking space and silence engulfing the car as we all contemplated how screwed I was.

"Anyway, who's next for the dares?" May said with a smile, as she clapped her hands together in excitement. 

"Shut up May, the games over," I grumbled bitterly.

May and her dares had got me in enough trouble for one night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A storm was brewing.

 I was feeling incredibly on edge today after what happened last night. I could barely concentrate at all in my first two classes as I was so plagued by paranoia. I had kept glancing at the door every 5 seconds, worried that the police would march in at any second and arrest me for breaking-and-entering. I'm basically a criminal. 

Scratch that I AM a criminal.

Sweating nervously, I headed towards the gymnasium for my next class. I was feeling particularly nervous as I knew Ethan had this class too. I had done a good job avoiding him so far but that was about to come to an end. I considered skipping gym class a few times, but I was too much of a nerd to actually go through with it. 

It was kind of funny how I'm scared to miss Gym, but I seemed to have no problem breaking into Ethan Blythe's house last night.

Speedily changing into my gym gear, I sat on the bleachers of the gym auditorium, waiting for the class to start. I spotted Chloe who I waved over to sit next to me. 

 "He might not even know it was your phone Mia, relax," she said patting me on the back reassuringly.

 She knew how extremely worried I was about this class. The poor girl had to sit through my passionate rant on her journey into school this morning, along with May. But May kind of deserved it, so I didn't mind torturing her a bit.

Just as I was beginning to feel slightly calmer, Ethan strutted his way into the gym, laughing about something with his friend Lucas. His followers scurried along behind him, who mainly consisted of his soccer buddies and girls who quite obviously had crushes on him. I admit he's hot, but it wouldn't hurt them to have a little dignity about it. 

I noticed that he never paid the girls much attention and only occasionally if he were bored or if he saw me looking, would he flirt with them.

 Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Ethan with a girlfriend before.

I was about to look away, realizing I had been staring at him for too long, but it was too late.

 Ethan's intense blue eyes did a quick scan of the bleachers before stopping on me. I gulped. His eyes held a mischievous twinkle in them almost as a promise of trouble. Then he had the audacity to give me a cheeky wink before turning back to the conversation he was having with Lucas. 

"Or maybe he DEFINITELY knows it was your phone," Chloe said with a wince after she watching our little interaction.

The gym teacher finally walked in around five minutes late to class, holding a steaming mug of coffee in his hand which I was guessing was the reason for his late arrival. He immediately sat his fat arse down on the bench before yelling at us to get the balls out for dodgeball. It was literally the only thing he ever let us play, probably because it required minimal effort on his part.

It had only been around 5 minutes into the game, and I was already sat on the bench with an ice pack held to my forehead.

 I had been whacked in the face with a dodgeball by none other than Ethan. I thought the rules stated you could only hit below the waist, but the gym teacher had decided to ignore that rule as not to upset his star pupil.

 I sent a death glare at Ethan from across the court. He must have felt the heat of my gaze on his back because he turned around with a smirk and gave me a little innocent wave. 

 God, I hated him.