Chapter 37

Sorry for the interruption but this needs to be said,

I like oblivious characters; I really do. They've always made me laugh, and I'm obsessed with the long dramatic build-up to realization. BUT, not everyone feels the same way, and that's completely understandable. However, what is not understandable is why people who hate obliviousness, my characters, the way I write, etc continue to read on. If you do not like my story, I genuinely beg you to stop reading and leave QUIETLY. I do not need to hear your angry departure speech. I haven't actively tried to hurt anyone on here, so please do not actively try and hurt me. Especially, if it's over something as trivial as not being into the same things as me. I put this story up for people who have the same reading preferences to me and a similar sense of humor, not for people who don't.

This message is by no means directed to people who like to playfully tease Mia because that's perfectly fine, and funny. This is for the people who leave shady comments, shaming me for writing in a way that I love.

(Written March 2021)

---------------

"Until you met me?" I chocked out in disbelief.

He gave me a soft smile and squeezed my hand which still rested in his before softly stroking the back of it with his thumb.

 "Yeah, as soon as I saw you on that first day of middle school, my promise was instantly forgotten. All I had to do was get one look at those gorgeous big brown eyes of yours, and I instantly melted at your feet. I had the biggest crush on you; it was pathetic," he chuckled. 

I shook my head slowly. "That's definitely not true. I don't know what twisted version of reality you've got running through your head, but there's no way twelve-year-old you had a crush on me," I laughed. "You kicked a ball at my fucking face, and then laughed about it." 

Amusement shone in his eyes, and he snorted. "And you certainly didn't hold back on expressing your feelings. You cussed me out in front of the whole playground and then tried to attack me! It took me aback, that's for sure! I wasn't expecting that much aggression and colorful swear words to come out, of a cute, eleven-year-old girls' mouth," he chuckled.

"Well, what were you expecting? For me to run into your arms and kiss you?" I scoffed as I shook my head at him in disbelief. 

"So, yeah Ethan, funnily enough, I'm not buying your I used to have a crush on you bullcrap."

"Well, you should believe it because it's true. Ask anyone, I was so fucking obvious about my crush, that pretty much everyone knew. Well everyone but you," he smiled.

 "And I was only mean to you because my feelings scared the crap out of me. They were just too much, too quickly, and I didn't know how to get them to stop. I figured if I got you to hate me, I'd get over you, and I could leave you in peace. If you didn't like me, there's no way I could truly hurt you," he whispered softly as his blue eyes glistened with sadness.

 I shook my head once more, still struggling to believe him. This just didn't make sense, it wasn't possible. "You have to be winding me up, you hated me. You literally told my middle school crush, I was a lesbian," I accused.

 He smirked as I said that, as though the memory amused him. "Well, that was because I was also a petty little bastard, and I hated that you liked someone else, so I sorted it out," he shrugged. 

My mouth parted open in shock, so surprised by the lengths he had gone to. How the hell had I been so oblivious?

 "I can't believe I never noticed...," I murmured in disbelief.