Chapter 47

"So, how do you feel after coming back from the dead?" May blurted out abruptly. 

May and I were sat across from each other at a table in the canteen and were waiting for the rest of our cabin to make their way down to breakfast. As we were both early birds, we had decided to just leave the others in bed and come down early.

 "I didn't die, you idiot," I said as I rolled my eyes. She was so dramatic.

 "Well, you sure came close, it was lucky your boyfriend was there to save the day," May teased, as she took another bite from her apple. 

"He's not my boyfriend." I snapped. "Don't you remember I fucked up all chances of us being together when I went bat-shit crazy on him," I muttered as I stabbed my spoon aggressively into my cereal.

 May snorted. "Trust me, you haven't ruined anything. That boy is still crushing on you as hard as ever," she stated matter-of-factly.

"Who's crushing on you?" A voice said from behind me. I turned to my side and saw April pull out a chair beside me. 

"Duh, Ethan, obviously," Chloe said as she pulled out the other seat next to me.

 "Oh right," April said, her voice sounding oddly tight.

 "Don't listen to them April, they're just making fun of me," I mumbled dismissively.

 As I gave a glance around the room, I noticed Ethan and Lucas making their way over to our table, with their breakfast trays in hand. Ethan's eyes immediately locked on mine, and I instantly remembered his words from last night, 'I need you.' 

They were such simple words, but they had done some strange things to my heart. 

Feeling that I had been staring at him for a little too long, I broke eye contact.

 "Hey girlfriend," Lucas said chirpily, as he approached the table. He kissed the top of May's head and took a seat next to her. 

Ethan paused upon reaching the table and eyeing the chairs for a weirdly long length of time, before finally setting his tray down next to Chloe. However, he didn't sit down. I watched in confusion as he walked closer to me and stood behind my chair.

 I twisted around. "Why the hell are you standing behind me?"

 Ethan didn't say anything in response and just grabbed the back of my chair and started to pull it backward. 

The actual fuck? 

He continued to pull my chair across the floor and finally stopped once I was in the space beside his lunch tray.

With a sigh, he quickly grabbed my cereal and plonked it down before me. Finally, without a word, he pulled out his chair and sat down next to me. He started happily tucking into his food as though he hadn't just hauled my ass across the canteen for absolutely no reason.

 Everyone at our table stared at Ethan, looking equally as confused as I was.

"What?" he said looking up at everyone, with innocent confused eyes. 

"I think we're all confused why you decided to drag me across the canteen," I chuckled, as I arched an eyebrow up at him in amusement. 

"Oh right, I wanted to sit next to you," he shrugged, as he went back to eating his food. 

"Okay then..." I said slowly. 

"I just want you near me, okay," he snapped, with a slight edge to his tone.  I recoiled back in surprise and his eyes softened.