Chapter 43

"Ethan? What are you doing here?" I heard Henry ask in confusion. 

Ethan stared at him with dead, emotionless eyes. "She's sick, go home," he snapped rudely, as he started to swing the door closed.

 I quickly rushed over and caught the door in my hand before it could close.

 "Wait, no, I'm fine," I said in a panic. "Sorry about that Henry, come on in," I said with a nervous laugh as I opened the door wider for him to enter. 

Henry awkwardly squeezed past Ethan, who hadn't moved an inch out of the way.

"My living room is the first door on your right," I called out as I gestured for Henry to go on ahead of me. 

I hung back slightly so I could give Ethan a swift smack on the shoulder.

 Ethan had the cheek to look innocently confused. 

"What? You looked a little sick to me," he shrugged.

 I just rolled my eyes at him and headed into the living room.

Henry was sat on the sofa and looked like he was patiently waiting for me to arrive. He smiled when he saw me, but the excitement in his eyes faded as he looked over my shoulder at Ethan. 

"I didn't know he would be here as well...," Henry mumbled in disappointment.

 "Yeah, I have no idea why he's here, just ignore him," I awkwardly laughed as I took a seat next to him on the sofa.

 "Did you bring your chemistry books?" I asked. 

"I'm such an idiot, I completely forget my bag," Henry laughed, as he nervously scratched the back of his neck.

Ethan, who had been standing in the doorway walked over and sat down on the armchair across from us. 

"How strange. It's almost as though you weren't planning on studying at all," Ethan drawled as he raised an inquisitive eyebrow at him. 

Henry shifted slightly in discomfort under the heat of Ethan's gaze.

 I glared at Ethan, annoyed about what he was implying. "Or he could have just forgotten his books because he forgot his books," I snapped.

"It's fine, we can just revise from my textbook," I said as I got up to retrieve my bag from the corridor. 

I quickly jogged back there and back, not wanting to leave the two of them alone for more than five seconds. I returned to the sofa with a sigh and turned to face Henry. 

"Is there anything, in particular, you want help in?" I asked softly.

"Nah, you can pick," he shrugged.

 "Okay, I guess we can just do thermodynamics; a lot of people find that tricky," I sighed as I turned to that page of the textbook.

I was mid-way through my explanation of a question on the page when I was interrupted.

 "That's wrong, you need to divide it by two because it is diatomic," Ethan piped in annoyingly. If we were alone, I would have wrung him by his neck for being such an irritating little know-it-all.

 "Actually Ethan, if you hadn't so rudely interrupted me, you would know I was getting to that," I spat out angrily.

 Ethan snorted, clearly not believing me. "Sure, you were babe," he said with an amused little smirk. He was purposely trying to be a condescending dick, and it was really starting to get to me.