Chapter 9

With much awkwardness, we tried to explain to Dylan we were not fighting but I was trying to give Ethan a massage because his back hurt. We decided it was for the best that we left out the blackmail.

 Bored with the conversation, as massaging seemed a lot less exciting than fighting, Dylan marched up to Ethan. 

He launched himself at his brother who caught him in his arms with a laugh. I watched with fondness, as Ethan began to tickle his brother ruthlessly, causing Dylan to flail around the sofa laughing wildly. 

"Stop. Ethan. Stop," Dylan screeched out in between laughs.

Ethan eased up his tickling, with a smile on his face. "Can we play Mario-Karts?" Dylan asked abruptly.

"Yeah, sure little D," Ethan said warmly.

The first race was just between Ethan and Dylan and I watched in astonishment as Dylan came first overall easily beating Ethan on the rainbow road track which was the hardest track. Ethan hadn't even come close to winning and was 6th. 

"Ethan you suck," Lucas said with a blunt snort, causing Dylan to erupt into a bout of giggles. 

Ethan looked genuinely embarrassed at having been beaten by a 6- year old, indicating he had most definitely not let him win on purpose. 

"Why don't you try and beat him then Lucas? It's harder than it looks." Ethan argued back defensively. 

"Okay, I will," Lucas in confidence, as he snatched the remote control from him.

Lucas lost. 

Badly. 

He had come 8th while Dylan was still 1st .

"Whatever man, this game is rigged," Lucas whined as he threw the remote control down angrily, watching in jealousy as Dylan's character did another victory lap of the track. 

"Do you want to play?" Dylan asked in excitement, as he looked over at me. Ethan swerved his head towards us, almost immediately. 

"Sorry little buddy, Mia can't play she needs to rest, she has a poorly foot," he explained to his brother softly. 

"Relax, Ethan I hurt my ankle not my hands. Pass me the remote, of course, I'll play," I said rolling my eyes. Ethan was trying to ruin my fun, by being overdramatic.  Reluctantly, Ethan passed me the remote.

Dylan won again. But, on the brightside, I had managed to come 2nd overall which is much better than Ethan and Lucas. But we had officially all been beat in a game by a 6-year old, which wasn't good at all.

"Can we play soccer now. Please..." Dylan begged, as he jutted out his bottom lip and widened his blue eyes guilelessly wide. 

Ethan looked guiltily at his brother, "I'm sorry buddy but I can't. Mia needs to rest, and someone needs to stay to keep her company. Lucas will play with you though," he said shooting a look at Lucas, silently asking for help. 

"Of course, I will," Lucas said in a playful voice as he grabbed Dylan and threw him over his shoulder before making his way to the garden. 

Before he left, Lucas shouted over his shoulder. "Remember guys no glove no love."

After Lucas's mortifying comment the room went silent as awkwardness filled the air.

 "You know you didn't have to stay with me right? I'm more than happy by myself," I said bluntly. He had stolen Lucas's armchair so he could be closer to me on the sofa.