Chapter 10: Change of Plan

"Who? Thanos?" asks Jane.

Ignoring her, Loki slowly opens the door to the ship, stepping out onto the dusty moonlit landscape of Xandar. I follow him closely with the others, Thor shutting the ship's door securely behind us.

"How do you know?" I whisper, looking out to the silent and empty village.

"I've been here before." Loki answers, not taking his eyes off of it, "It was beautiful."

"What happened?" asks Valkyrie, glancing at Loki.

"He didn't just kill half of the population." he deduces, his voice holding annoyance and rage, "He killed them all."

I look down at my feet, not knowing what to do or what to say.

"He'll pay for this, brother. You have my word." Thor speaks up, patting Loki on the shoulder respectfully.

Loki looks at him and smirks faintly, nodding his head and turning back to the emptiness of Xandar.

"Where is he now?" Jane asks, looking around.

Thor walks slightly ahead, scanning the area for any life- evidently finding none.

"Loki." I mumble, tapping him on the shoulder and peering into the sky.

"What?" he asks, turning and following my gaze upwards.

"Get back." he whispers, "Everyone get back."

Nobody moves.

"Get back!" he yells, grabbing my wrist and dragging me backwards, Jane, Valkyrie and Thor doing the same. I steady myself, pulling my wrist away from Loki's icy grip and glaring at him.

"Git." I mutter.

Within seconds, a loud crash erupted right in front of us, the petite and empty village being crushed and flattened to the ground as if it was made of paper.

A quiet gasp slipped from my lips as I notice what had crushed the village.

A ship. Yet, it was no ordinary ship.

It is a round, circular shape, a large hole in the centre- it's huge, much larger than our ship.

Ours was an ant compared to this one, of course, it didn't take long for me to realise that this was a mothership.

A bright beam of purple light lit up the ground before us, three figures forming within it.

On the left, a small, frail alien with dry grey skin.

On the right, a tall warrior wearing lots of battle armour.

But in the centre stands a purple giant wielding a large double sided sword and wonderful golden armour. He's the largest of the three, and judging by his uniform, he's the most important of them.

Thanos.

"Hear me, and rejoice." the smaller one announces, "For you have had the privilege of being saved by the mighty Thanos. You may think this is suffering. But, no. This? This is salvation. The universal scale tips toward balance because of your sacrifice. Smile. For even in death, you have become children of Thanos."

I laugh to myself quietly, everyone looking at me like I'm psychopathic.

"What are you doing?" whispers Loki, giving me a side glare.

A smile creeps slowly onto Thanos's face, his eyes making dangerous eye contact with mine. He takes a step closer to us steadily, the smirk on his face masking his malicious intentions.

"Why are you doing this?" asks Jane, stepping ahead of the four of us. Thor tries to grasp onto her wrist to tug her back, but she's too far for him to pull her back now.