Chapter 33: The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Do I believe in miracles? No. Absolutely not.
Fairytales? Never.
Myths? Some.

Bedtime stories? Always.

I must sound crazy, mustn't I? But it's true.
A bedtime story my mother used to tell me was of a tale they called 'the boy who cried wolf'. Familiar? Perhaps? Either way, it all started with a little boy who wanted attention from his parents.

He yelled and cried to them, alerting them of a wolf- a big, bad wolf that would gobble them all up. The parents were horrified and went to see if it was true- but the boy had lied.

Then, the next day, it happened again.

"A wolf! A wolf!" cried the boy, desperately.

Once again, the parents rushed to where the boy had said there was a wolf- yet there was no wolf to be found.

Then, the next day, as the boy was playing in the meadow, a menacing wolf jumped out of the bushes, teeth bared ready for her next meal.

The boy screamed, shouting for his parents.

"A wolf! A wolf!" he cried, shouting out.

Yet, this time they didn't arrive. They'd had enough of the boy's lies and decided not to be fooled again.

So, due to this factor, the wolf gobbled up the boy- trodding away with a pleased grin.

Now, my mother always told me that this story taught us not to lie- that it would one day get us in trouble, or people would never believe you.

But I don't think that's what we should be teaching.

Sometimes, it's good to lie- sometimes we have to lie.

And sometimes we just shouldn't.

"Are you gonna tell me what the hell happened out there? Hm?" Tony shouts, slamming his hand onto the table.

"Tony, we got the stones..." Steve says.

"Yeah, but we had to go to a different place in time, risking this entire mission again because these two children screwed it up!" Tony says, pointing to me and Loki angrily.

"We don't know what happened, Tony! We tried to combine our strength, and something went wrong!" I reason.

"Things go wrong everyday, all the time. That? That's inexcusable. That was insane." he snaps, "You two could've cost us everything."

"But we didn't. We made it out okay, like we always do. So why don't you stop having a go at us, and sort out our next move?" Loki glares, defensively.

"Tony." Pepper calls from the doorway of the lounge, "The others are back."

"The stones. Did we get them?" Steve asks quickly, all of us looking at Pepper expectantly.

She nods her head and a weight is lifted off of our shoulders, a flurry of victory and sighs of relief coming from our group.

"How is everyone? Did everyone make it out?" Scott asks.

And that's when Pepper's face softened, heading bowing down to look at the floor.

"No." Stark whispers, sighing deeply, "Who, Pepper?"

"It's Nat." she answers.

"Are you sure?" Steve asks, unnerved.

"Positive." she nods.

"Shit." I mutter.

"This is your fault." Tony says, turning to me.

"My fault? Your friend just died so you decide to blame it on me?" I retort, "How mature of you, Anthony."