Chapter 41: Pasta and Pregnancies

"This is some excellent pasta." Thor compliments- me, him and Loki sitting at the dining table eating the food Pepper made.
"I heard Stark wants us to gather in the lounge at 7." he informs us, sparking a conversation.

"That man parties way too much." I scoff, continuing to eat my pasta.

"Well, he's got the money for it." shrugs Loki, leaning over the table to snatch my bowl of pasta from under me.

"Do you mind?" I glare, reaching over to get it back.

"You're leaving out the mushrooms." Loki scolds, using his fork to eat all of the mushrooms in my serving, "It's a waste."

"Could've just waited until I was done." I retort.

"Well, I didn't, did I?" he smirks, sliding the bowl back to me along the table.

A comfortable silence lingers over the three of us as we eat our food, quiet conversation flowing at various points.

"(Y/n), do you mind checking something in my room for me? It's nothing much, I just need some assistance." Thor says (not-so-convincingly), a small smile on his face.

"Sure." I nod, rising from the table to head to Thor's room, discarding my almost finished bowl of pasta on the kitchen counter.

As we enter his room, the door shuts behind us, my head turning to Thor in concern.

"I have something planned tonight." he announces abruptly, "And I was hoping you could give me some advice."

"Yeah, what's up?" I nod, intrigued.

Yes, I'm also shocked that he came to me of all people for advice.

"I plan on proposing to Jane. Tonight. Now, I'm not sure if it's just me being daft, or the possibility that she could reject me in a room full of my friends, but I don't know how much of a good idea this is."

Okay, of all things, that's the one I didn't see coming.

"Proposing?" I ask, "Wow... that's crazy."

"It is?" Thor questions, alarmed.

"No, no, not the idea. I think you should definitely do it. I just didn't expect it." I admit.

"That's the best part- Jane won't expect it either." Thor smiles, finding new confidence.

"Or it could be the worst part. It could come as a total shock and she could just say no. The whole party would go silent, you'd be standing there like a lemon with a ring in your hand-"

"I couldn't help but overhear-" a voice interferes, startling me.

"Here he is. Of course. Look, Thor, if you want good and genuine relationship advice, do not listen to him." I explain.

"Okay Miss 'I can't get passed the awkward flirty friends stage'." the voice, belonging to the giant pain in my ass by the name of Anthony Edward Stark, retorts.

"Excuse me?"

"Please- you really think I haven't noticed you and Loki? You're practically in love with the guy, but neither of you have the balls to make a move." Stark mocks.

"I have balls." I snap, "...in a metaphorical sense at least."

"Could we please get back on topic?" Thor pleads, helplessly.

"Sorry. Look, I think you should do it, Thor. You obviously love her dearly, and are ready to take it to the next stage." I advise warmly.

"Look at it this way- if you don't do it, you'll go on questioning yourself on what could have happened. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So take it." Tony nods.

I hate it when Tony Stark is right.
Or I just hate Tony Stark.
Haven't decided yet.

-

"So he's really going to propose to her?" Loki asks, our feet dangling off the side of the building as we sit upon the rooftop.

"Looks like it." I nod, admiring the darkening sky, "I just hope she says yes."

"And if she doesn't?" Loki questions, glancing in my direction.

"Then... well, that would suck." I shrug.

"Well, I suppose the real question is why he's proposing." Loki adds, running a hand through his hair.

"For love, of course. It's hardly an arranged marriage." I scoff.

"You haven't been here for two months. Thor never left the house. Only on the odd occasion- he'd always return with beer though." he explains, "Their relationship was on hold for two months. They're not getting engaged for love."

"So... if it's not love or an arranged marriage..." I ponder, "Oh my god." I gasp in sudden realisation.

"Are we thinking the same thing?" he asks.

"One way to find out." I nod, the two of us making our way to Thor and Jane's shared room.

With a knock on the door and no reply, Loki signals the coast to be clear, both of us making cautious entry.

"Shh." he hushes, stepping towards the bathroom.

"I didn't say any-"

I'm silenced by a hand slapping onto my mouth (quite rude, if I'm honest).

So I bite him. Tit for tat.

"Did you just bite me?" he scoffs, bringing his hand quickly away from my mouth, "You're ferrel."

"Aw, thank you." I smile, looking through Jane's nightstand (totally not an invasion of her privacy).

"Loki." I call, "Loki come here."

In a few long strides, Loki is kneeling beside me, peering into the drawer himself.

"Knew it ." he smirks, looking at the positive test hidden in the drawer, "She's pregnant."