Chapter 34: The Winner Takes It All

⚠️TW: death, injury detail, upsetting scenes⚠️

-Loki's POV-
(From the perspective of Loki)

"How are you?" Thor asks, resting his elbows on his thighs as he leans forward on the couch to talk to me.

"Fine." I reply simply, "You?"

"Yes, yes. I'm fine. How is (Y/n)?" he asks, making quiet conversation.

"How am I supposed to know?" I scoff, leaning back on my couch.

"I may not be as perceptive as you, brother, but I'm not a fool." he smiles, looking at me.

I beg to differ.

"What are you implying, Thor?" I question, attempting to understand his hinting.

"You like her, Loki. You two love-"

"Don't finish that sentence." I snap, "Besides, I don't have time for sentiment. She's merely a balm. Something to lean on for a bit. She'll be gone once I have no use of her."

"You don't need to put up your illusions with me Loki. We're family." he explains.

"We're not family, and I don't have any illusions up." I reply, defensively.

It isn't that I don't want to talk to Thor- it's not that at all. But, I've reached a point where I understand that everywhere I go, pain and suffering follows.

How do I end it? No more ridiculous sentiment.

"Physical illusions are not the only kind of illusion." Thor says.

The most confusing part of this conversation is that Thor is being wise.

"I don't know what you're asking of me." I retort.

"I'm asking you to talk to me, like none of this happened. Like we're back to being two annoying teenagers dancing on dining tables and stealing each other's helmets and weapons. Loki, I want my brother back. I want you back." he says.

Sentiment. Easy to embrace, hard to ignore.

"I'm not the 'boy' that I used to be. You of all people understand that." I reply, looking down at my hands.

"Yes you are. People change, I have changed. But no man ever stops being that little boy. Our childhood shapes us, and you, Loki, are a scared little boy."

"I am not a scared little boy." I snap.

"Oh, yes you are. Perhaps you're no longer scared of the dark, which I must tell you was an amusing phase in your life, but you have new fears. Fears of losing the things close to you. Mother. (Y/n). And me, I hope." he smiles.

"Who are you and what have you done with my brother?" I ask, smiling faintly.

Thor lets out a laugh and looks towards the door, in thought.

"So why don't you tell me, hm? (Y/n). What's the juice?" he asks.

"What?" I ask.