Chapter 22: You Promised

⚠️TW: Injury Detail, Death, Violence⚠️

In a shimmer of colour, a lustrous dagger forms within my hand, my grip tightening around its hilt.

I turn to Loki, noticing a sword of pure flame in his grasp.

"What is that?" I ask, gazing at the astonishing weapon.

"Lævateinn." he smirks, flipping it effortlessly in his hand.

"I thought that was myth?" I question, brushing the fire between my fingers.

"You know how they say not to believe everything you read in books?" he explains, a proud look masking his face, "Well don't doubt it all either."

"Will you two focus?" Stark huffs, suited into his iron suit.

"I'm sure it's only Asgardians or something." I laugh, "Calm down, Anthony."

"You look up into the sky, then tell me to calm down." he yells, walking over to Steve.

I look up through the window, my heart pounding within my chest.

"No. We're supposed to have more time." I deny, turning to Loki, "We only have two stones."

"Three." the Robot cuts in, Vision.

"It's stuck in your head." I retaliate, "If we remove that thing from your head, you'll be dead in a heartbeat."

"I don't have a heart." he counters.

"What?" I question.

"(Y/n)." Loki calls.

"What?"

"Are you going to stand around trying to work out why a robot doesn't have a heart, or are you going to fight?" he scolds.

"Fight." I mumble, rolling my eyes.

He clicks his fingers and points to the ground next to him, demandingly.

"What?" I question.

"Get over here." he groans.

"Could've just said that." I mumble, joining his side.

"Forget the plan- I don't want to be stuck fighting all the measly Chitauri." he whispers, "Me and you. Straight to Thanos."

"That's just stupid." I say, "It's way too dangerous, you idiot."

"Thor's group will be fighting him too, so it'll just be some extra help." he bargains.

"And leave Valkyrie, Bucky and Natasha to fight the entire East group of Chitauri alone?" I ask.

"Well... yes." he nods.

I think for a moment, considering the consequences.

"Fine." I huff, "But if we die, I'll kill you."

"If that puts your mind at ease, then certainly." he smirk.

After a short silence, he slowly turns to me and pulls his forehead to press against mine, "I promise you, we will make it out alive. You can count on it." he assures me.

"Don't make promises you cannot keep, Loki." I scold, a sense of sadness lingering in my tone.

"Don't tell me what to do." he retaliates.

I nod in response, enjoying our brief closeness.

"Loki." a voice booms from outside. I feel a hand grasp mine, suddenly finding myself outside, Loki by my side with Thanos standing directly ahead of us in front of his very large army.