- thirteen : yams

[ third person ]

⋆⋆⋆

The halls were slightly crowded, seeing as it was lunch time. Makoto weaved through the halls, ending up in front of the cafeteria with a few bucks in hand. Eyeing the choices from afar, she wasn't aware of the person who pulled up beside her.

"H-Hey, Makoto-san." Yamaguchi stuttered, visibly growing disappointed with himself for botching the greeting he practice twice. "Sorry."

Makoto patted his shoulder reassuring, "It's alright, Yamaguchi. Just call me Makoto. We've been friends for so long already." She replied.

Friends? Yamaguchi thought as his expression brightened. As kind as Makoto was, Yamaguchi couldn't help but feel intimidated by this female. She was tall for her age, looked more like a boy than a girl and always looked angry when she wasn't smiling. He could just tell that she could easily beat the shit out of anyone.

"What're you getting?" Yamaguchi asked as he rocked on his heels, glancing at the variety.

Makoto tapped her chin, deep in thought. "Maybe just some yakisoba bread."

Yamaguchi nodded, walking over to the counter to buy some stuff. "I'll get it. Be right back."

Makoto watched as the male fought his way through the crowd to get to the front. It actually made her chuckle.

When he returned, he held two yakisoba breads and his changed. "I got it-"

"Dude, you look like hell." Makoto chuckled as she reached up, smoothing out his hair that was all over the place. He smiled gratefully, slightly bowing to her. "Thanks, Yamaguchi. You're such a good guy."

Yamaguchi handed her the yakisoba bread. "Thanks, Makoto-sa...Makoto." Yamaguchi felt uplifted when a bright smile graced her lips when she heard him drop the honorifics. "Have you fully recovered from your cold?"

Makoto nodded, munching on her bread. "Yup. After being stuffed like a turkey from you guys, I took a long nap and felt better when I woke up." She explained with a small chuckle.

"That's good. Tsukki was super worried about you." Yamaguchi chortled softly, not noticing how Makoto's head snapped in his direction.

"He was?"

Yamaguchi turned to Makoto, nodding adamantly. "Yup. He kept looking at the door to see if you'd walk in, all day in class and during practice too. He even asked me how you were. Don't tell him I told you any of this though."

The silence that filled the air made Yamaguchi quickly look over at Makoto, worried he had offended her somehow. His eyes widened when he saw the expression on her face.

Her mouth was parted slightly as a bright pink hue crept up her neck. Her cheeks tinged pink along with her ears, forcing her to cover her face with her hands. "Sorry-"

"Makoto, do you like-" Yamaguchi was abruptly cut off by himself when he saw Tsukishima heading down the hallway. Panicking, he looked to Makoto who was panicking more than him. It was the first time he had ever seen such a prominent expression on her face.

"Shit-"

Yamaguchi wrapped an arm around Makoto, pulling her face into his chest. He held her close, smiling apologetically at Tsukishima who approached with a raised eyebrow. "H-Hey, Tsukki! Makoto's not feeling too well, so I'm gonna take her to the nurse's office."