- sixteen : recovery

[ third person ]

⋆⋆⋆

The corridor was lively, full of chatter from students who were unaware of the condition the volleyball boys were in after their loss against Aoba Johsai. The heart-wrenching defeat had put everyone into small pit of sadness, allowing them to wallow there in self-pity.

Makoto walked down the hall quietly, keeping her eyes trained on her feet as she walked. The students seemed to unintentionally move out of her way, making a smooth path for the female who was too lazy to speak up.

Upon passing the door that would lead out towards the gym, she heard the familiar shouts of her brother and his soon-to-be boyfriend. Cautiously, she made her way towards the gym and stood by the door.

The two were awkwardly sprawled on the gym floor with a bunch of volleyballs lying around them. They were out of breath, visibly distressed and tired from who knows what.

"There's no time to stand still."

"But you need to eat your lunch." Shimizu said as she appeared beside Makoto with a neutral expression on her face. The younger raven haired female nodded, agreeing with Shimizu. "And try not to scream so much, I heard you all the way out there in the club room."

"I could you guys from ten miles away." Makoto chimed in, making the males flush with embarrassment.

"Kiyoko-san! Makoto!" Nishinoya and Tanaka shouted, catching both females by surprise. They ran towards them, talking some nonsense as they jumped at the two.

Makoto side-stepped, avoiding the males who went flying. Standing up straight, she glanced at the door where she heard a voice.

"Afternoon!" Yamaguchi greeted as he laughed sheepishly, entering the gym with the blond in tow.

"Hello." Tsukishima greeted flatly, adjusting his grip on his bag. He walked over to the group, spotting Makoto who was busy talking to Hinata and Kageyama.

"Now all we need are the third years."

Despite some people doubting that the third years would arrive, they showed up before long and declared that they'd stay.

While everyone's attention was focused on anything but her, Makoto walked over to the door and sat on the steps. Pulling out a string cheese, she munched on it quietly while staring at the ground.

The breeze is nice out here. Makoto thought as she sighed softly, basking in the cool breeze that whizzed past her. Since she was so immersed in herself, she failed to notice the person who appeared beside her until they nudged her with their leg. "Ah, oh-"

Meeting Tsukishima's eyes, she quickly looked back down and waved quickly. "Yo."

"No matter how much sun you get, you'll never grow any taller, you know?" Tsukishima mocked, making Makoto playfully narrow her eyes at him. "You'll probably be a shorty for the rest of your life. How sad."

"Kei, we were on very good terms with barely any mean comments. Way to ruin it." Makoto said with a light chuckle as she held out a piece of string cheese to him. "String cheese?"

Instead of answering, the male simply took the piece of cheese from her hand and popped it into his mouth. He rose an eyebrow at Makoto who was somewhat stunned. "What?"

"Nothing. It's just," Makoto swallowed the cheese in her mouth, turning to Tsukishima. "You didn't decline for once."

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah because I'd rather not have it end up stuck to my face like the last time you offered me string cheese." He huffed, eliciting a loud laugh out of Makoto.

"That was priceless!" Makoto said as she held her stomach, unable to stop laughing. "I wish I should've recorded it. Seriously."

"Ha-ha, you're so hilarious." Tsukishima retorted bluntly, kicking Makoto lightly. When the female continued to laugh, he just walked off with a scoff that added onto her amusement.

Makoto wiped her eyes, sighing softly as a small smile lingered on her lips. It's been a while since he and I talked like that.

[ t i m e   s k i p ]

Makoto stepped outside the gym, standing in the cold with her phone in hand. After pressing the accept button, she put her phone to her ear and spoke up, "Yo."

There was a long silence, absolutely nothing being said or heard. It must've been on mute or something, but Makoto chose not to hang up just yet.

"Hello?" She drawled out, narrowing her eyes slightly to see if she could hear anything at all.

For a moment, the person on the other side took their phone off mute and spoke up. "We'll find you soon." 

The deep, gruff voice spoke lowly, breathing weirdly into the phone. Makoto couldn't lie when she said that she felt a bit uneasy.

"Who is this?" She questioned, stepping further away from the gym to prevent them from hearing the conversation. "I think you've got the wrong number."

"We're going to find you, Makoto."

Makoto felt chill run down her spine as they uttered her name, speaking with such determination. Before she could say anything in response, they hung up and left Makoto standing there in silence.

What the FUCK was that?! She thought as she tucked her phone in her pocket, running a hand through her hair. Who the FUCK?

Most people would freak out, tell their friends and hide out until they are in the clear.

Makoto? Nah, she simply rolled up her sleeves and grunted. "Who the fuck do I need to fight now?"

"Makoto? You okay out there?" Hinata called from the gym, peering out the door to see his sister standing in the dark away from the gym. "What're you doing?"

"Being a nitwit." Tsukishima muttered with a small snickered. Makoto was quick to flip him the bird and re-enter the gym with a newfound sense of determination.

She was gonna kick the ass of whoever called her. Hopefully.

Makoto calmed down after awhile, ending up on the back of Hinata's bike with a juice box in hand. The male removed the kickstand from his bike and used his legs to balance the bike.

"See you guys later!"

As they got on the road and began heading towards their home, Hinata spoke up. "What was the phone call about?"

Makoto huffed, "Some random guy said they were gonna find me. I knew it was for me because they said my name before they hung up."

Hinata slammed the breaks, coming to an abrupt stop that led to Makoto flying off the bike. "WHAT?!"

"I think I broke my entire body." Makoto mumbled as she laid in the middle of the road with a pained look on her face. "Yeah, I'm dead."

It took them an extra hour to get home after that.