- twenty-six : okinawa

a/n : two updates today bc y'all deserve it ('' )

[ third person ]
i forgot to bold it ^ in the last two chaps **

⋆⋆⋆

"You're home?" Her father, Shin, asked as he entered the house, noticing her shoes at the front door. Peering into the living room, he found his daughter sitting on the floor with a scrapbook in front of her. A bunch of pictures were scattered across the table as she tried to place them into the scrapbook. "So you are."

"Yep. Been home for the last twelve hours." Makoto answered back, unable to suppress the curt tone. "Where have you been?"

Her father shifted slightly, "I went out for drinks with a few friends." He answered back, shaking his head lightly to sober up quicker.

Typical. "There's water on the table. We need to talk about something." Makoto said as she pasted the picture of her and Karasuno into the book.

Her father took the water and plopped on the couch near her. He gulped the water down, taking a moment to sober up a bit before talking. "Hm?"

"Why did I come back?" Makoto asked, genuinely curious as to why she was set to return by the end of this month. "You told me to go to Miyagi because of Kichiro, so why did I come back?"

A few months prior to Makoto's departure from Okinawa, she had found out about Kichiro's lengthy crush on her. Since she was inexperienced and unsure as to what love was supposed to feel like, Kichiro suggested that they date to see if she could develop any kind of feelings for him. With a bit of unintentional peer pressure from the other boys, Makoto reluctantly agreed and started dating Kichiro.

Despite being "boyfriend and girlfriend," nothing really changed between them. Makoto didn't really allow the male to kiss her nor touch her in general since she didn't feel any attraction towards him.

As his feelings grew for her, her feelings remained the same as before. Despite knowing she had no romantic interest in him, he kept the relationship going for about three months.

Until her father found out.

"I sent you to that school to get good education and focus on your studies. I didn't put you there to date boys and mess around."

That's what her father said as he prepared a flight for her to Miyagi. With that, she was sent off to Miyagi within a few days of finding out that she was dating Kichiro.

After Kichiro and Makoto talked it through and broke off their relationship, the male quit the team and took some time to think about what he had done. He returned to the team a few weeks after that.

"Well," Shin said as he sighed deeply, recalling the day Kichiro came to the house. "That Kichiro kid came by and proved he'd be a good boyfriend for you, so I told him that you guys could date."

Makoto was outraged. Kichiro had gone out of his way to prove that he could provide a steady and comfortable relationship with Makoto, who didn't even reciprocate his feelings.

"Shouldn't I be the first person you consult about these kinds of things?" Makoto asked as she stood up, angry with her father who made a big decision like that without even asking her. "I don't feel the same way as Kichiro yet you moved me back to Okinawa without even asking me, just so I could date him again?" She questioned incredulously.

"I thought you'd be okay with it since you dated him before." Her father tried to reason, leaving out the part where he knew Makoto didn't feel the same as Kichiro.

"I already have someone I like. I left him behind in Miyagi because you guys were selfish and brought me here." Makoto berated upon noticing Kichiro enter the house awkwardly. "You guys are so.."

The sniffles that left her made both males visibly shift with worry. Tears fell from her eyes as her hands flew up to wipe her face.

"So damn selfish." Makoto finished, being engulfed in a hug by Kichiro who clenched his jaw.

"I'm sorry, Makoto."

Taking a small break to calm down, Makoto and Kichiro were sat on the floor with the coffee table in front of them. Shin had gone off to bed, giving them a bit of space to talk after her small outburst earlier.

"So it is him, huh." Kichiro said as he grabbed a photo from the pile. It was Makoto and Tsukishima standing beside each other in the kitchen of Makoto's house. They were too busy bickering about something to notice that Makoto's mother had snapped a picture of them. Noticing the small stack of pictures of her and Tsukishima at her house, he rose an eyebrow, "He stayed over?"

"Uh, yeah. He walked me home from school and stayed over 'cause it was late." Makoto said as she recalled the day she spent with him. The photos always managed to bring a smile to her face.

"God, I feel like shit." Kichiro said as he threw his head back in frustration. "I shouldn't have done all these things. I didn't mean to upset you. I just...really liked you."

Makoto sighed softly, unable to get angry anymore. "It's fine, Kichiro. I know you meant well, but I really wish you would've talked to me about it first."

"I feel the need to apologize to Tsukishima too." Kichiro said as he dragged a hand down his face. "I said some things out of jealousy, and now I feel bad. Though, he did roast my ass back then."

"Good."

"Damn, that hurts." Kichiro chuckled, eliciting a laugh out of Makoto. Sitting up straight, he grabbed a few more photos. "That really shocked me earlier."

Makoto rose an eyebrow, pasting the photo in her hand into the book. "What did?"

"You crying. You've...never cried once before." Kichiro pointed out, making Makoto nod lightly.

"Well, I never really had anything to cry about. You guys didn't come to the airport when I left, so I just went. When I was growing up, nothing really affected me." Makoto admitted, sighing softly. "But when I got to Miyagi, I cried when I saw my family. I cried when Karasuno lost their match. I cried when I found out I had to leave. Hell, I cried all the time because of them."

Makoto simply shrugged with a small smile as she stared down at the photo of her and the entire team.

She stood in front of Tsukishima with Yachi and Kiyoko at her sides. Everyone gathered around, grinning brightly at the camera.

"I love them."