Doctor Styles

May 13, 2013
Hamburg, Germany

Emiliana's POV

The smell of latex gloves and rubbing alcohol enter my nostrils before I even get to open my eyes. I feel a cold sensation go through my veins. I stir a little and slowly open my eyes, allowing them adjust to the bright light above me. It's then I notice where I am. The hospital. An IV is connected to my right arm. My clothes gone and replaced by a blue gown. A heavy blanket lays over me. I groan when a harsh stomach ache makes it's way to my body.

"Em?" I hear that familiar deep voice come from beside me. I turn my head and see my curly headed best friend. I took him and and noticed how distraught he looked. Obvious tears slid
down his face, eyes rimmed red and his hair was messy but how much he's ran his hands through it. I look at him concerned, forgetting about my pain and the fact I was in a hospital.

"Harry what's wrong? Are you ok?" I ask. He looked bewildered at my question, like it was crazy I would even ask that. "Am I ok? Love you're the one in the hospital" He says incredulously. I look around again and start to question why I was even here. I don't remember even coming in at all.

"Harry, what am I doing here?" I ask quietly. His face softens and he looks at me sympathetically. Before he can answer, a woman around my height walks in. Her dirty blonde hair is high up in a ponytail and she wears thick glasses. She smiles when her eyes land on me and she closes the door. "Hello, Ms. Summer?" The lady says, looking down at the clipboard in front of her. I mutter a small 'yes' and she carries on with checking my vitals. She nods her head every once in a while, writing something down on her paperwork.

Harry has seemed nervous and fidgety since I've woken up. His knee is bouncing up and down in a fast pace rhythm. He fumbles with his fingers, twisting each ring over and over again. He's not looking at me but is looking down. I can feel the distress radiating from his body, giving a heavy feeling to my heart. A voice brings me back from my thoughts.

"Do you remember anything that happened?" The doctor asks, changing the needle on the IV to a clean one. I try to think what happened after Lou came to check on me, but I can't remember. I shake my head and sigh. "Everything is a blur from all last night if I'm honest" I say quietly. She hums and looks over her paperwork.

"Well, I'm sure your aware of stomach pains and headaches as well as nausea and fatigue. Since your body was very weak and you had hypotension, you weren't completely conscious of your surroundings. You happen to have Crohn's Disease. It's an inflammatory bowel disease which explains why your stomach is quite swollen. Your symptoms are common for this disease and lucky for you, you were brought just in time. If you had waited longer, we would've had to take you into surgery. I have a prescription for you that you can pick up at a local pharmacy for Immunosuppressants. Please avoid eating trigger foods like dairy, carbonated beverages, alcohol, coffee, raw fruit and vegetables, red meat, and foods that are fatty, fried, or spicy. Your stomach is very sensitive and anything can trigger the pain" The doctor says slowly, making sure I understand everything going on. I nod in understanding and she smiles down at me.

"I just need to make sure that your good to be discharged. Remember to take it easy for the next few days" She makes her way to the door, leaving Harry and I alone. I turn to see Harry looking at me, the sadness in his eyes are evident. I smile and scoot over a little, patting the small bed. He comes over slowly and carefully slides in next to me. He's most likely being cautious to not hurt me. I lay my head on his shoulder, his arm around me. I cringe a little when a sharp pain in my stomach shoots through me.

"I'm sorry you're in pain love" Harry says barely above a whisper. It was almost like he didn't even say it. I look up to see his eyebrows furrowed and a frown on his face. I rub my thumb on the crease of his forehead to smooth it, making him smile with a closed lip.