Deal

It was the next day and Emi had seemed to recover fairly well. Her bright smile was on her face once again and she woke up early to make a big breakfast. Laxus woke up as he heard pans clanging against each other and traveled down the stairs before entering the kitchen. He let out a loud yawn before making his way to stand behind Emi.

"I'm sorry. I accidentally dropped some pans. Did I wake you?"

Laxus let out another yawn before assuring her that she hadn't and lazily placing his head on top of hers as he watched her cook. Emi was cracking a couple of eggs and making an omelette. She placed bacon and cheese in the pan as well before reaching into the cabinet. Laxus quickly grabbed her hand, causing Emi to notice that she once again was about to ruin the meal. He carefully guided the bottle so that a small amount dripped into the pan.

"You can add a little to an omelette, but not as much as you usually do."

Emi smiled wide as she watched the hot sauce mix with the other ingredients. Once the food was finished cooking, Laxus and Emi sat down to eat. Emi then noticed something on the dragon slayer's face, causing her to get up from her seat and take his face in her hands.

"You're hurt."

"Relax, it's just a scratch."

"What happened? I thought you said it went smoothly."

"The guy pulled a knife on me as he was trying to escape."

"A knife? They let him have a knife?"

"I'm fine, Em."

"I was so caught up in my own problems that I couldn't even realize that you were injured. I am so sorry. Let's get it disinfected right away and then I can--"

It was the mage's turn to take her face in his hands.

"Relax, brat. We'll eat first and then deal with it."

"Hey! You promised me you wouldn't let that guy hurt you!"

Laxus looked away, boredom apparent. He knew as soon as it happened that he would have to endure a lecture from the short woman. Emi's expression changed to one of sadness.

"You can't die too."

Laxus looked back to her, confused and worried about her sudden statement.

"Uh, Em?"

"I remembered something."

"Is that why you were so upset yesterday?"

Emi huffed, puffing her cheeks out and looking away before replying, "I was perfectly fine yesterday. It was just allergies."

"Sure."

"I remembered some sort of gigantic monster who attacked the village that I lived in. There was a lot of fire and I saw my parents die."

Emi started to cry again before Laxus guided her to sit down in her chair.

"I didn't even know I had parents. I just thought that I never knew them. I can't even remember their names or what they were like. I can't remember anything!" Emi spoke through her crying.

Laxus awkwardly patted her shoulder before sitting down next to her.

"You know," Emi joked, "you're not very informed on how to comfort someone, are you?"

"Shut up. I'm doing a great job."

Emi laughed before placing a hand on top of his.

"Well, thanks."

----------------------------------------

"Master?"

"I can't believe that stubborn child brushed off my offer! I tell him he can come back to the guild and he walks away from me!" Makarov shouted.