Snowman Origins

"I have a great idea," Emi suddenly spoke up.

Laxus looked up from his coffee and raised his eyebrow. Emi smiled brightly.

"We should go to the park and play in the snow."

Laxus chuckled and brought his mug over to the sink.

"So is that a yes?"

"Hurry up before it starts to snow too bad."

She hurried upstairs to get her cloak and boots on and impatiently waited for Laxus to do the same.

"Alright, alright. I'm coming."

They quickly made their way through the forest. Once they reached the town, Emi started to skip over to the park. Laxus yelled at her to not run off, but she just looked over her shoulder and laughed. He had eventually caught up to her right before she got to the park. She had already started gathering snow and was looking on the ground for something.

"What're you doing?" Laxus laughed.

"Every snowman needs some arms. Duh."

"I didn't realize we were making one."

"Of course we are! It's a tradition."

Laxus hummed before sifting through the snow and picking out a couple of branches. He dropped them in front of her and waited for her to approve. She picked up a branch of her own and showed it to him.

"I think this one is better, don't you think?"

"Mine is better."

"Sure, Laxus. You keep thinking that."

He rolled his eyes and picked her up before tossing her off to the side in a snowbank. She screamed as she landed in the snow. She poked her head up and giggled. Once she freed herself from the snow, she started to pat snow together.

"I'll do the middle if you do the bottom. Then we can make the head and dress him!"

They both worked hard to create their section. Laxus ended up finishing first and started on the head. After about a half hour, the snowman was put together and mostly decorated. An older man came by and smiled at the two.

"If you two would like, I could paint you both with your new friend there."

Emi gasped, "That would be great, right Laxus?"

Said dragon slayer sighed and agreed. They both stood behind the snowman, Emi's arm wrapped around Laxus's waist.

"Wait!"

Laxus and the artist looked at her for an explanation, but she gave none other than standing in front of the snowman and using her finger to make a lightning bolt on the stomach. She rushed back to Laxus's side and smiled for the painting. After ten minutes, the painting was done and the man handed it over to Emi. She excitedly thanked him and turned to Laxus to show him.

"See? Isn't this cool? Now we can remember this day forever!"

"That's the picture in your room, right?" Makarov asked his grandson.

"Yeah."

----------------------------------------------------

"Laxus," Emi whispered, "are you still awake?"

"Come on in."

She smiled and shuffled in, careful not to trip on her blanket. After making it to the bed, Emi crawled in and scooted closer to the lightning wizard.

"What're you doing?" Laxus laughed as she continued to squirm.

"I'm cold."

He rolled his eyes at her whines and sat up.

"Where are you going? I need the body heat."

"Scoot over here. You can sleep on my side tonight."

"Really?!"

Laxus looked at her confused before telling her that it was already warm. Emi cheered and immediately crawled over to the other side of the bed.

"You didn't, like, just fart on the bed, did you?"

She could hear Laxus snickering before assuring her that he didn't. He sat on the other side of the bed and laid down facing the wall. Emi turned over so she was facing away from the door and scooted into his back.

"What was the point of me switching if you're coming over to this side anway?" Laxus teased.

"You're warm."

It was Laxus who turned around this time and faced her. He pushed her back over to the side by the door, causing Emi to whine. He had successfully pushed her away before he scooted himself closer to her. Emi smiled as she felt his arm wrap around her.

"See? I told you that you were warm."

"I think we might've skipped ahead a bit," Lucy snickered. "It seems like they're just as close as they are now."

Sting huffed and held Emi close to him while glaring at the disinterested Laxus.

-----------------------------------

"You'll never guess what I found!" Emi screamed as she burst through the front door.

Laxus jumped at the sudden noise and glared at her.

"I was taking a nap."

"But look!" Emi yelled as she shoved a striped mouse in his face. "Isn't she cute?"

"What the fuck? Get that out of the house!"

"But she's my new friend."

"You're only saying that because you don't talk to anyone else."

"Yeah well Mittens listened to everything I said for an hour. We just sat in the tree and talked."

"Mittens?" Laxus asked, amused before he turned serious and scolded, "You shouldn't be climbing up trees in the winter."

"Can we keep her?"

"No. Bring Mittens outside."

Emi sadly walked back over to the door and slowly put Mittens down. She started sniffling, Laxus raising an eyebrow at her sudden sadness.

"Em, we cannot keep a wild mouse in the house."

"Can she stay as a visitor?" Emi asked hopefully.

Laxus just gave her a blank look and Emi crouched down to Mittens and wished her well. She slowly shut the door and walked into the living room.

"She belongs outside, Em."

"I know," she weakly agreed as she sat on the couch.

Laxus looked at her unimpressed when she started sniffling again. He slowly made his way over to her and sat next to her. He sighed and let her hug him. She continued to sniffle as she hugged him.

"She has a family, you know," Laxus reasoned. "Mittens might have kids that she needed to get back to. Would you take her away from her family?"

Emi gasped before standing up suddenly and whipping the front door open.

"Mittens," Emi shouted, "say hi to your family for me!"

She could hear Laxus's soft chuckles in the distance.