A Surprise Awaits

"Lector, I think it would be best if you stayed here for this request. It involves an animal that eats cats, and I don't want you hurt."

Lector looked horrified as he echoed, "Eats...cats?"

Emi nodded before explaining that the town had reported several cats that had gone missing when they wandered through the forest. Lector shivered before flying into Ursa's arms and wishing them luck.

"Are you going to be alright during the ride or will I have to knock you out again?"

Sting scoffed before aggressively sitting on the bench. The train started to move, but he didn't look sick when Emi looked over at him. He crossed his arms and glared out the window. Emi raised her eyebrow before shrugging and opening her book. The train hit a bump and Emi looked over at the dragon slayer to see that his face was turning blue.

"Sting, are you sure you don't want--"

"I'm fine."

He tried to play it off like he wasn't affected, but his stomach betrayed him and he ended up sliding on the floor. Emi sighed and scooted over to where Sting was and offered to help him up, but he refused to take her hand.

"Sting, you're just going to feel worse the more time you stay on the floor. Please try to sit up here."

He still looked away stubbornly. Emi rolled her eyes and dragged him up onto the seat before punching him in the stomach, successfully knocking the wizard unconscious.

"This is going to be a long job," Emi groaned. "Why did I think this would work?"

---------------------------------------------

"Welcome to Oshibana Town!"

Emi smiled brightly at the elderly woman who greeted them at the station. Emi had dragged Sting off the train and used a water spell to splash his face and wake him up. Once he was awake, the two followed the woman to the edge of the forest.

"As you can see, the forest animals have all disappeared. We have no idea where they went or if they're coming back."

"So what the he--"

Emi cut the blond off before he could snap, "We'll do our best to defeat the creature. I'm sure that will encourage the animals to return."

The woman looked to the dragon slayer with a curious look before she turned away and returned to the town.

"You can't be rude to people," Emi chided. "I know you're aggravated but we have a job to do."

"I don't remember ever asking to go on one in the first place. I always take a week off when this starts."

"Your week ended a couple days ago. It's not my fault you're still like this."

Sting mumbled under his breath, thinking that she couldn't hear him, "Actually it is, but whatever."

Emi decided to ignore his statement and continued into the forest. Sting reluctantly followed her, but stopped once his nose caught the scent of someone following them. He tried to shake it off as someone in the town, but he could tell that whoever it was was approaching the two quickly. Quicker than he could blink, a mutated snake lunged at Emi from beside her. Sting ran up to the oblivious wizard and grabbed the snake by the neck and threw it in the air before hitting it with his Holy Breath. Emi was startled by the sudden movement and looked over to see Sting growling as he stared at the snake's corpse.