Emi Reveals Her Past

"I say we spend the day looking at clouds."

"I say we go get ice cream."

"I want to do both!"

Sting and Emi focused on Lector before giving each other a look.

"Uh, actually it's supposed to be a date, buddy."

Lector looked up at the two before starting to cry. Sting panicked and started saying that he didn't have to be so sad.

"He's right, Lector. If you want to come then come. I don't mind."

Lector looked up to Emi before smiling and saying, "I'm not sad. I'm just so happy that you guys finally have the guts to do this."

Sting and Emi sweatdropped as they looked to the exceed.

"I think Kira might be rubbing off on him."

Sting scoffed before agreeing. Lector said his goodbyes and happily floated away in the direction of the guildhall. Sting faced Emi and motioned for her to follow him. They made their way to the hill and sat down.

"Caterpillar holding a fan?"

"Not even close. Moose giving the middle finger."

Sting moved so he was laying down beside her on the grass.

"I have a question to ask you."

Emi giggled before playfully asking, "Is it one of those questions that will be constantly interrupted?"

"Shut up."

Emi looked back up to the sky, peacefully watching the clouds crawl by.

"Why do you always wear your cloak? You do it even on the guildhall. Lector and Kira are the only others that have seen you."

Emi stayed silent for a moment before stating, "I do this to protect others."

Sting sat up and looked at her quizzically.

"What does that—"

"I've already told you that some very powerful people are after me. I conceal myself to hide from them. If they were to find me, they would go after those I hold dear. I can't let that happen again."

Sting's face twisted in concern as he hesitantly moved his hand on top of hers. She flinched at the sudden contact before looking over at him in surprise.

"Just know that Phoenix Wing will always be your family. And family protects family."

"I think that might be a problem in the future, but for now it's comforting."

Emi gave Sting a small smile and laid down on the grass like Sting did earlier.

"Can we get ice cream after this?"

The dragon slayer let out a loud laugh before laying down beside her.

"If that's what you want to do."

The group looked at Sting in confusion as they tried to figure out why the wizard had changed so much from back then. Sting noticed their stares and squeezed Emi's hand.

——————————————

"I don't understand why more shops don't include this flavor."

Sting looked at the apple ice cream, causing his nose to twitch. He let out a chuckle when he saw that Emi was humming as she ate. He had come to know that she did this when she really enjoyed what she was doing, so it was a sign that she liked whatever she was eating. He continued to eat his apple pie before going to hold her hand again. Emi flinched again before slowly pulling away.