What Are You?

Ana's POV

November 7th, 2038; 1:39 AM

I sat on the bench with Uncle Hank by my side as he drinks his beer. I looked at the city in front of us. After what happened at the club, I need this so much. I have been here since I left for college. I heard Connor approaching us as I look down on my lap. 

"Nice view, huh? I used to come here a lot before...." Uncle Hank said, hesitating. 

"Can I ask a personal question, Lieutenant?" Connor asks. 

"Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?" Uncle Hank groans. 

"I saw a photo of a family and another one of a small child on your kitchen table." I look at Connor with shock. "Ana's family was the first picture and the second picture is your son, Ana's only cousin, right?" Connor finishes. 

"Yeah." I sighed. "My mother's Nikita, my father's Ryan, my two sisters are Theresa and Gwen. His son's name is Cole." 

"Before what?" 

"Hm." 

"You said, 'I used to come here a lot before.' Before what?" Connor asks, looking at him. 

"Before..." Uncle Hank place a hand on top of my head, moving it a bit. "Before nothin.'" Connor walked toward the blue gate, looking out the scene. 

"We're not making any progress on this investigation...the deviants have nothing in common. They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places." Connor says. 

"Well, they have in common is this obsession in rA9...it's almost like some kind of...myth....something they invented that wasn't part of their original program." I crossed my arms as I stared at him. 

"Androids believing in God." Connor looked back at us. "Fuck, what this world coming to?"

"You seemed preoccupied, Lieutenant. Is it something to do with what happened back at the Eden Club?" Connor asks, facing us. 

"Those two girls.... they just wanted to be together...they really seemed...in love." I nodded. 

"They can simulate human emotions, but they're machines. And machines don't fell anything." I stood up, clearly pissed off. 

"BULLSHIT!" I yelled. "Machine or not, they can feel! They can have human emotions!" 

"Ana, be rational. Machines cannot-"

"I don't give a shit! They can! Those androids we saw at the club had emotion! They were in love! You're that stupid to think after this that machines don't feel anything! What about you, Connor? You look human, sound human, but what are you then?" I yelled but ask him a question with a soft tone. 

"I'm whatever you want me to be, Ana. Your partner...your friend...or just a machine. Designed to accomplish a task." He said. 

I took a step towards as I talked. "You could've shot those two girls, Connor, but you didn't." I said. I felt a tear coming from my eye. "Why didn't you shoot, huh? You said you'll do anything to catch a deviant, but once I let them go, you didn't stop them. Some messed up programming in your system?" 

"No. I just deiced not to shoot. That's all." Decided huh? I pull my gun out and aimed it at his head. 

"Shit, Ana! What's gotten into you?!" Uncle Hank yelled. 

"I can shot you dead, Connor. But you could come back. As if nothing happen, pretending everything is fine. But Connor, are you afraid to die?" He took a moment to answer. 

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be...interrupted...before I can finish this investigation." he said. 

"What happens if I pull the trigger? Tell me, Connor, nothing? Android heaven?" He took a step forward, having his forehead touch the pistol. 

"You think you're the smartest fucking person in the world, Connor. How do I know you not a deviant?" I asked, getting pissed. 

"I self-test regularly. I know what I am and what I am not." I sighed as I put my gun back in the holster. I turned around and start to leave with tears in my eyes. 

"What are you going?" Connor asks. 

"I need air." I said. I need to get away from him. 

"Ana, wait!"

"Connor, don't." Uncle Hank said as I kept walking.