Chapter 30

I stared at my handcuffs. This should be the last day that I'll be wearing these.

"Sinwerte ka lang kasi mayaman ka." Senia sneered at me. "Kung wala kang pera siguradong kulong ka pa rin."

I nodded at her. "Alam ko."

"Bilis na." The jail guard pulled us out of our cell. Everyone's looking at us as if they're sure na babalik pa kami rito.

They transported us safely to the court and there I saw members of the media, few cops, my grandparents, Jim, Gerard, and Ginny's extended family.

Nakaupo kami sa harap nang dumating na ang judge at sinimulan ang session. Hindi maganda ang pakiramdam ko dahil sa sobrang kaba at alam kong ganoon din si Katya lalo na't mas mabigat ang kaso niya.

I was exactly like this when they scheduled me to sit on the dock to defend myself. Katya did well on that one though, even if she had to tell everything over and over.

One of our witnesses is Mr. Valderama, 'yong English Department Head. Nahanap siya ni Gerard at nakumbinsing umamin para mabawasan ang sentensya niya. The school revoked his teaching license last month, and he'll most likely spend 6 to 8 years in jail in a separate case.

"Criminal case number 34133, People of the Philippines vs. Katya Amanda Sy and Ginny Del Mar for the crime of parricide and being an accomplice to the crime in relation to Article 16 and Article 246 of the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines, respectively."

I can almost hear my heartbeat and I'm sweating like hell. Nilingon ko sina Lolo at Lola na parehong nag-aalala so I smiled at them bago muling lumingon sa court clerk.

"On November 5, 2019, Katya Amanda Sy, was accused of murder under the following circumstances: that on November 4, 2019 in Manila, Philippines, the said accused willfully stabbed the victim who is also his uncle, SPO III Dennis Sy to death in their house of residence. The victim was found dead on arrival by the Manila Police."

"During the trial, the prosecution presented as its witnesses, SPO I Magnaye, PO II Ordina, and PO I Bernal who testified that the accused has a personal grudge as a motive to kill the victim. Also presented as a witness by the prosecution was Doctor Simban, who did the autopsy on the victim's body and confirmed that the murder weapon with the fingerprints of the accused matched to the wound suffered by the victim."

"In his testimony, SPO I Magnaye has seen the accused 'throw tantrums' in the police station when the victim denied her request of a new phone and that the accused said to the victim in exact words, You're useless. CCTV footage from the Manila Police station backed his statement. While PO II Ordina testified that upon his visit to the victim's residence, he caught the accused pushing the television and screaming at the victim. In PO I Bernal's statement, he mentioned that the accused once asked him for sex so she can buy a new mobile phone."

Nilingon ko si Katya. Tamad lang siyang nakatingin sa court clerk habang iniisa-isa ang kasinungalingan ng tatlong pulis.

"While the defense presented Mr. Valderama, one patron of the accused who testified that cybersex happened in the victim's residence. Also, as the witness was Jim Arsom Castalle, who testified that accused Ginny Del Mar asked her to call the police, and Gabriel Sy, the younger brother of the accused testified through the proper and guided procedure that he is indeed locked up many times and could only get out of his room during meals."

"Mr. Valderama admitted that he has watched exactly eight live shows of the accused and the victim and shelled out eight thousand pesos in cash. Copies of the live shows from his mobile phone and CCTV footage from a bus stop where he hands his payment to the victim back his testimony. Mr. Valderama was able to prove that the cybersex was performed and was performed with intimidation that the accused had no choice but to engage."