Officers On Duty

*Keith's POV*

I have been with the police force for about 2 years but my partner well more of a mentor Lance has been working here for 8 years. It was just a casual day at the office we investigated criminals and all that jazz but we got a call on our radios about a store robbery just a few blocks away from us. Me and Lance happened to be the only ones on call that night so we called in some back up but they said it would take a bit for them to arrive because the only other station here is an hour drive from our town. We grabbed our suits and guns and hopped in the cop car and sped to the store.

"Wonder what kind of gun they have, probably a pistol" I said.

"Hey, a gun is a gun it can do the same amount of harm to you even if it was an M16 or an Ak47 so just keep an eye out and try not to get shot" Lance said as he sped around the corner and we arrived.

We saw the guy running down the ally so we chased him on foot but then 3 more guys came around the corner and shot at us, we hid between two buildings and it was a tight fit. My body was pressed up against Lance's and we were both breathing hard from running.

".....Keith your hard" I hear Lance whisper as he holds his gun up to his chest ready for anything to happen.

"S-sorry....it's because your rubbing against me I can't help it" I said out of frustration.

"Its fine just don't let that distract you from your duties" He said.

We decided to leave the space we were in and head towards the guys again chasing them and we managed to catch 3 of them, we were so happy we finally caught them! We put them in cuffs and alerted the other officers over our radio, but something wasn't right....I swore there was a 4th guy.

"H-hey Keith....wasn't there a 4th gu-"

"Keith watch out!!!" He yelled.

*BANG*

Keith was shot In the chest area as he fell to the ground on his knees....

"HANDS UP! YOUR ARE BEING ARRESTED FOR ROBBERY AND ASSAULT ON AN OFFICER!" Lance yelled as he held the guy at gun point....my vision began to fade as I passed out.

*Lance's POV*

I cuffed the other guy and radioed the other officers letting them know Keith has been shot in the chest and we require medical immediately and that the other guys were caught.

"Keith...stay with me, Stay with me!" I said as I held the bullet wound to stop the bleeding some what.

About a long 5 minuets later an ambulance finally arrived along with the officers as they arrested the bad guys, I hopped into the ambulance with Keith as I held his hand praying he would be okay. I started to blame myself for what happened....I kept asking myself "maybe he wasn't ready" and "I should have kept my mind more set on the felonsif only I would have remembered that there were 4 guys not just 3 this wouldn't have happened.

"How much longer till the hospital" I asked the guy sitting with me in the back.

"About 3 minuets" He said as he continued patching Keith up.

I held his hand tighter and pressed it to my forehead as I let the tears finally fall...Keith is my bestfriend I will not allow him to die. We arrived at the hospital as we unloaded him and rushed inside, he needed surgery because the bullet didn't go all the way through his chest so I was forced to sit in the waiting room anxiously waiting and praying for him.

*1 Hour passes*

"Officer Lance?" I hear a familiar voice say, it was Keith's doctor.

"Keith's surgery was successful he will be expected a full recovery within 2 weeks but I advise he takes the 2 weeks off of work to rest at home, does he have any family we can call? He will need help at home for at least the 1st week" He said as he got his clipboard ready to write down a number.

"N-no, I'm his only family so I'll be looking after him" I said.

"Alright, well you can come follow me to room 127" He said as we got onto the elevator.

I approached his room and entered once I saw his face it was such a relief I couldn't help but tear up and smile.

"Keith...I thought something worse was going to happen I'm glad your okay" I said as I pulled a chair up to his bed and held his hand, he was still asleep from the medication though.

I was getting tired so I ended up using his thighs as a pillow as I continued to hold his hand.

*Keith's POV*

I woke up feeling groggy and sore but I turned my head to see a hand holding mine as I looked up more there he was, he must have been tired and passed out on my lap. I squeezed his hand a little to try and wake him up because my arm was too sore to reach for his head.

"wakey Wakey" I said groggily, his eyes slowly opened as soon as we made eye contact he had a bright smile and teary eyes. He shot up from his chair and placed a hand on my cheek as his thumb caressed my cheek.

"Thank god your okay...." He said but fell to the ground putting his head on my stomach as he cried....

"L-lance I'm okay, everything's okay now" I said as I played with his hair.

"Stop crying...your going to make me cry" I said with a small smile.

"I-I was so worried and scared to lose you...please forgive me" he said.

"forgive you? You didn't do this to me" I said.

"I shouldn't have distracted you from your duty....when we were in that tight ally" He said as he wiped his tears away.

"It wasn't that, it was just bad luck...I'm fine now, I'm alive" I said then groaned from the pain.

"You know....its kind of funny now that I think about it" I added.

"Hmm?" He asked confused.

"When we were in the car on our way to the location, you told me not to get shot...silly me" I said as I let out a light chuckle as I covered my eyes.

"......I could have died today Lance" I said in a cracking voice, my face in my arm as I let out a silent sob.

"This job is dangerous....which is why we need to be more prepared for next time, and I promise not to jinx anything before we go into any job" Lance said.

"Now you should get some rest, the doctor will inform me in your release date soon but you will be staying at my place since your don't have any other family members to look after you while your getting better" He said.

"Okay, thank you for everything Lance" I said as I drifted into sleep.....

The End...