Chapter 2

Cato's POV
My name is Cato Hadley, I am 18 years old, live in District 2, a career district, which means we train for the Hunger Games, a death fight where 24 kids are picked to compete in an arena to fight to the death, until only one person stands. Right now I am on my way to the training center which takes about 2 minutes. When I get there I am the first person there so I go to my favorite station which is swords, but get stopped by one of the trainers, Enobaria, winner of the 62nd games.

"Cato my names is Enobaria, and I was told to tell you that you will be training with a partner from now on," she tells me.

"Ok," I tell her and she walks off, that was weird I think to myself.

"Cato over here," I hear Enobaria say, so I walk over to her. When I get to her I see a short, dark haired girl, with dark brown eyes, and freckles around her nose.

"Hey I am Cato, and I guess I will be your training partner," I tell her, extending my hand.

"I am Clove, and I guess you will, what are you good at," She ask, and shakes my hand.

"I am good with swords, spears, and hand to hand combat, but mainly swords, what about you?" I asks her.

"I am good with knives," She tells me, and Enobaria walks off, I guess letting us get to know each other a little bit better.

"Ok great, do you mind showing me how good you are, and I will show how good I am with a sword," I ask.

"Yea I'll show you," She tells me and we walk to the knives station, and She pick up 5 knives, and starts throwing them, hitting dead center every time. 

"How was that," She asks.

"That was amazing, when did you learn to throw like that," I ask her.

"When I was around 5 or 6, that's when I started anyways, now how about you show me your sword work," She tells me.

"Ok yea, I will warn you that I am deadly," I tell her.

"Ok then show me," She says, laughing.

When we walk over to the swords, I pick up a very deadly looking sword, and walk up to a dummy and start chopping off the limbs of it.

I look at her and ask, "How was that, was it impressive enough for."

"Heck yea that was impressive," she tells me.

After a few more hours of training it's time to go home, before she leaves, I stop her.

Hey Clove I had a lot of fun today, and was wondering if you wanted to walk home together," I ask her.

"Yea sure, just let me finish getting my stuff," she tells me, and I smile and she smiles back. When she finishes getting her stuff Enobaria comes up to us.

"So kids how was training, it looked like y'all had fun," she asks.

"It was great, I really liked having someone else to train with, and not just be by myself," Clove tells her.

"I really enjoyed it, thanks for letting me work with you, Clove," I say.

"No problem," she tells me.

"I will see y'all tomorrow," Enobaria tells us.

"Goodnight Enobaria," me and Clove say.

"Goodnight Kids," she says, and walks out, then me and Clove leave.

"So Clove, I know we just met today and everything, but I was wondering if we could be friends," I ask her.

"Of course we can, and we will be training partners for awhile, so why not, well anyways this is my stop, see ya tomorrow Cato," she says.

"Yea see you tomorrow Clove," I tell her, and walk on to my house. When I get to my house my parents are in the kitchen.

"Hey, I am home," I tell them.

"Hey Cato, how was training," my dad asks.

"It was good," I tell him.

"That's good, dinner is just about ready, go get cleaned up before it's ready," my mom says.

"Ok, mom," I tell her and go to the bathroom to shower. When I get out I throw on a pair of athletic shorts and a t-shirt, and go back into the kitchen to eat.

"Cato, do you know what games you will be going into," my mom asks.

"No, but I got a training partner today, and I think I will be going in soon," I tell her.

"Ok," she says.

I excuse myself and go to my room and go to sleep thinking about Clove.