Chapter 22

Cato's POV
When Clove throws a knife it hits Katniss in the leg, and she lets out a scream and I see Clove letting go of the tree, and start falling. I instantly move to catch her and I do. When I have her in my arms I notice her breathing quicken, and she starts hyperventilating.

"Why didn't you just let her fall, that would be one less person to worry about," Glimmer says disgusted.

"Because she is my district partner, and one of us is going home," I tell her.

"Well now what are we supposed to do, Clove is the smallest one out of all of us, and it's obvious she isn't climbing that tree anymore," Marvel says looking at Clove in what looks like sympathy. Glimmer then decides she is going to take a shot, so she shoots an arrow missing Katniss by a mile.

"Why don't we just wait her out," Peeta asks, and we look at him in confusion.

"She has to come down at some point, it's either that or starve to death," he continues. I look down at Clove and set her down on the ground.

"Ok someone make a fire," I say, and Glimmer and Marvel walk off to get wood.

I sit down beside Clove and lay her head in my lap, and stroke her hair. She starts choking on air, and sits up.

"Clover your up," I say.

"Yes what happened," she asks looking confused.

"You were climbing the tree trying to kill Katniss, and you through a knife hitting her leg, and you fell," I tell her. She looks at me, and back down to her hands in her lap.

"Cato, why didn't you just let me die, I mean only one of us goes home, and if it comes down to it I can't kill you," she tells me tears building up in her eyes.

"Clover, no I am not going to let you die, you will be going home, and I don't care what you say, I volunteered knowing I wasn't going to go back to 2, I came here to protect you and make sure you make it back," I tell her moving her face to look at me.

"Cato I can't live without you," she tells me, and I kiss her to shut her up, and we kiss for about 5 or 6 minutes, before we get interrupted. We pull away from each other, and see Glimmer and Marvel walking back with wood, and they start making a fire. Once they finish we all sit around it and start talking about a strategy to kill the other tributes until we all get tired and fall asleep.