Chapter 21

Clove's POV
When we get to the woods, I start smelling smoke, and start feeling lightheaded.

"Guys do y'all smell that," I say feeling like I am going to faint.

"No, what do you smell," Cato asks worriedly.

"It smells like the arena is on fire, and the smoke is suffocating everything," I say dropping to my knees.

"Maybe your to weak to deal with a little smoke, and should go back to camp," Glimmer says smirking.

Cato runs over to me helping me stand. I then see a wild fire spreading through the arena.

"C-Cato," I choke out.

"What is it," he asks. I point to the fire and the others look and see it, and we take off running, me stumbling with the smoke in my lungs making it hard to breath. Since my body isn't big, my lungs are not much larger then my heart, so it takes me longer to get air into them, causing me to suffocate faster. Cato notices me slowing my pace and rushes over to me, and puts me on his back, and takes off. I see Glimmer, Marvel, and Peeta all ahead of us, stopping at a river. When we get there Cato sits me down on a log, and sits beside me.

"Clove what happened while we were running," Cato asks me. I try and catch my breath before answering.

"I couldn't get enough air in my lungs, because being the small person I am, my lungs aren't big like normal peoples, so when I run in smoke like that, it makes it hard to breathe and I start suffocating easier," I tell him looking down.

"Clove you should have said something about that before you ever volunteered," Cato says sternly.

Just then a parachute drops down in my lap. I open it and see a note, it reads,

Clove,
Why didn't you say anything about having trouble breathing in smoke like that, stay hydrated and get air back in your lungs. Drink this water, there is some medicine in it to help with your breathing,
Enobaria.

I take the water, and down it, and already start feeling my lungs feel better. Thank God for the Capital technology to make this stuff.

"You feel better," Cato asks me.

"Yea, I am sorry I slowed you down, you should have just left me, Cato," I tell him looking down.

"Hey, no, Clove I will die for you if I have too, your getting out of here," he says moving my head up to look at him.

"Cato I am just," I get cut off by Marvel yelling.

"GUYS WE FOUND HER!!!," he yells.

"Come on," I say and me and Cato get up and run over to them. We start chasing Fire Girl, and she climbs a tree.

"THAT'S NOT GONNA HELP YOU KATNISS," Glimmer yells. Cato starts climbing it, and I start thinking that he is stupid he never worked on climbing in training, and he falls flat on his back, and I look at him asking if I should try and climb and he nods his head and I start climbing it, being careful of where I put my feet.

"COME ON CLOVE," my fellow careers cheer. I see Katniss continue to climb up and she slips but keeps going.

"Don't think your going to be able to get away from me, it's either keep going and get to the top or fall and have the others kill you," I tease her. I continue climbing and she stops on a branch about 5 feet higher then me.

"You make this so easy don't you," I ask her smirking.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, and how are your lungs, is starting to get hard to breathe yet," she asks. I haven't even been focused on that until now, and I can start feeling my lungs get tight, and then I feel myself start to suffocate.

"Clove, Come on don't let her into your head, you can do it," I hear Cato yell.

"Listen to your little boyfriend, I am sure he knows exactly how to help you," Katniss says laughing.

I get furious and throw a knife not really paying attention to where it goes, and I start having trouble breathing, and feel myself loosing my grip on the tree, and I hear a scream, and feel my eyes shut, and I start falling.