Chapter 7

Reaping day
Clove's POV
The past week with Enobaria has been really amazing. She has treated me like I am her own daughter, I have always thought of her as a second mother. Today is the day of the reaping in which me and Cato will volunteer. I am wearing a light blue dress that goes down to my knees, and light blue flats. My hair is in a half up half down and curled.

"Clove are you ready," Enobaria asks me.

"Yea I am coming," I tell her, and walk downstairs. When I get down there Enobaria and Cato are both down there.

"Hey Cato," I say, and hug him.

"Hey Clove," he says back.

We walk to the town square where the reaping takes place. Enobaria goes to the stage where the other victors sit, and me and Cato go and get signed it.

"Cato I don't think I can go in this year," I tell him.

"Yes you can Clove, I will be with you and I won't let anyone hurt you," he tells me and we hug and kiss, and go to sections. I go to the 15 year old girls, and Cato goes to the 18 year old boys.

The reaping starts and our districts escort, Sapphire, steps out.

"Welcome, Welcome, Happy Hunger Games and May the odds be ever in your favor," she says, then we watch the usual video about how and why The Hunger Games started, then Sapphire says, "Ladies first," she walks over to the bowl and pulls out a slip of paper, and reads the name, "Lexie Meredith."

"I VOLUNTEER!!," I yell before my mind can think, and I step out of the group of girls, all them looking shocked, but I ignore them, and walk up to the stage.

"What's your name," Sapphire asks me.

"Clove Kentwell," I tell her putting a fierce look on my face. She then walks over to the boys bowl and before she even pulls out a piece of paper, Cato already starts walking out of the crowd.

"I VOLUNTEER!!!," he shouts, he walks up to the stage, and Sapphire asks him what is name is, and he says, "Cato Hadley."

"Ok everyone, your tributes from District 2, Clove Kentwell, and Cato Hadley, all right shake hands you two," she tells us, and we do, then we are escorted into the Justice Building for our final goodbyes.

I know I won't have anyone say goodbye to me so I just wait, when a peacekeeper finally comes and gets me, he escorts me to the train, and I see Cato and immediately run over to him and hug him.

"Cato," I say.

"Clove look at me calm down your ok," he tells me.

"I am going to get y'all's mentors, Enobaria and Brutus," Sapphire tells us.

We wait a little bit and Enobaria and Brutus walk in and Brutus says, "Hey, Clove, Cato,"

"Hi," me and Cato say.

"So what are y'all good at," Brutus asks.

"I am good with knives," I tell him.

"I am good with hand to hand combat, spears, and swords, but mostly swords," Cato tells him.

"We should be in the Capital by tomorrow morning," Enobaria says.

"Ok," I say and go to my room, I have been so upset with my mom dying just a week ago, and my dad and how he treated me before Enobaria took me in. My life has been so messed up, and I wish I could go back to when my mother was still alive. Just then someone knocks on my door, and I say, "Come in."

"Clove are you ok," Cato asks me.

"I know if I say yes then you'll know I am lying, so the truth is no I am not ok," I tell him.

"You can talk to me Clover, I am not going anywhere," he tells me, and sits beside me on the bed.

"It's just I miss my mom, and how my dad was before she died," I say crying.

"Hey shh, it's ok, I know you you miss them but look at me, is this how your mom would want you to be," he asks me.

"No it's just hard, I mean Enobaria is like another mother to me, but it isn't the same," I tell him, sobbing.

"Have you talked to Enobaria about it," he asks.

"No," I tell him.

"Don't you think you should," he asks me.

"I don't know," I say putting my head in my hands, Cato starts rubbing my back. I lay my head in his lap, and he starts playing with my hair, and I start to fall asleep.