Chapter 3

Clove's POV
When I wake up, I get up, get dressed, and tell my parents bye, and head to training. When I leave my house I see Cato walking on the sidewalk.

"Cato, wait up!," I say.

"Hey Clove, are you ready for training," he asks me.

"Yea, are you," I ask.

"Yea," he says.

"Did you sleep good," I ask.

"Yea, you?," he asks.

"As good as I could," I say.

When we get to the training center, I go straight to the knives, and Cato goes to the swords. After a little bit Cato comes up to me.

"Hey Clove wanna do Hand to hand combat together?," he asks.

"Yea sure," I say, and we walk over to the hand to hand combat station. When we get there we get set up to fight and we begin.

"Don't hold back Cato," I tell him smirking.

"Don't worry I won't, and you don't hold back either," he tells me.

"I won't either," I tell him and we begin. He runs up to me and goes to punch me, but I block it, and knock him to the ground.

"That was easy," I tell him smirking.

"It's not over yet," he says, and flips us so he is on top of me. He then gets me into a chokehold.

"Nice move Cato," Enobaria says walking up.

"Thanks," he says.

"I need to talk to both of you right now, and y'all might like or y'all might not," she says.

"What do you need to talk to us about," I ask.

"Come to office," she tells us.

Me and Cato share worried glances but follow her anyways. When we get to the office she tells us to sit and we do.

"Ok, so y'all know how when we choose out tributes to go into the Games, we choose the strongest and most skilled people," she tells us.

"Yea we know," I tell her.

"Well we think the 2 of you will be ready to go in this year, so we will need y'all training extra hard before the reaping," she tells us. I get excited then realize that Cato will also be going in with me.

"Wait why put both of us in at the same time," Cato asks.

"Because the 2 of you are our strongest students," Enobaria tells us.

"Ok, but do we have to go into the same games," I ask.

"I am sorry Clove but the trainers all thought that would be better," she tells us.

I then stand up and walk out, not wanting to hear anymore. I would usually be excited about this, but Cato is going into the games the same year. I go sit on a bench outside of the training area. I don't know why I feel like this, we are just friends, but I might feel more for Cato then I thought. Just then Cato comes out.

"Clove are you ok," he asks walking over to me, and sits down beside me.

"Yea I am fine," I tell him not wanting to tell him the truth.

"Clove come on I can tell something is wrong," he tells me.

"It's just with me and you going in at the same time, and only one comes out," I tell him.

"Clove, come on I won't let anyone hurt you, and I will let you win," he tells me.

"No Cato, that's what I mean, if I can't come back with you, I don't want to come back at all, I-I l-like y-you," I stutter. He looks shocked.

"Clove, I like you too, not just like you, but love you," he tells me. Now it's my turn to be shocked. He then does something unexpected, he kisses me and I kiss back.

"Clove I won't let anyone hurt you while we are in that arena, and your coming home," he tells me.

"No Cato I can't without you," I tell him. Enobaria comes out and sees us.

"What are the 2 of you doing, y'all need to be training, and Clove have you been crying," she asks me.

"No," I tell her and me and Cato stand up and go back to training.

At lunch
When we get lunch I sit at the table I usually sit at, and Cato comes over and sits with me.

"Clove, like I said earlier no one will hurt you," he tells me.

"Cato, but I don't get it, why do we have to go into the same games," I tell him.

"I don't Clove," he tells me, I look at him, and one of the most annoying girls at the training center, Britney, walks up to us and ignores me.

"Cato why don't you come sit with us," she asks Cato, and points over to her table.

"I am sitting with Clove right now," he tells her.

"Oh ok," she says looking at me in disgust, and walks off.

"I love you Cato," I say, before I can stop it.

"I love you too, Clover," he tells me smirking.

"Coming up with nicknames now," I ask rolling my eyes, and laughing.

"I thought it suits you," he tells me, and then we get excused for the day. Cato walks me home again today.

"Cato, with the reaping being in 2 weeks are you actually wanting to go in," I ask.

"I mean I was and then we found out that both of us were going in, and that crushed everything," he tells me, putting an arm around my shoulders, I then lean into him.

"I love you Cato," I tell him when we get to my house.

"I love you too, Clover, I'll walk with you to training tomorrow" he says, and I kiss him, and walk into my house. When I get into my house, I don't see my parents.

"Mom,Dad, I am home," no answer.

"Mom, Dad where are y'all," I ask getting scared. Still no answer. Then I hear someone sobbing, so I walk into my parents room, and see the most horrible scene ever.

"MOM!!!!!," I yell, and start crying, and I see my dad crying in the corner. My mom has a gun shot wound in her stomach.

"Dad," I ask, my dad doesn't say anything.

"DAD, Say something please don't shut down," I say, crying. I then run into my room and slam the door, and slide down to the floor holding my knees to my chest, and lay my head on my knees. My mom is dead, and my dad has shut down, I wish I could talk to Cato right now. I get into my bed and cry myself to sleep.